Cal,Alk,Mag suggestions

Adam Black

What brand of calcium,alkalinity,magnesium supplement does everyone use. I'm almost out of Bulk reef supply 2 part and was looking so recommendations. I want to try a powder this time not liquid. Let's here what you use and why. Thank you.

Adam

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I use kalkwasser via ATO for calcium or on the rare occassions it needs more, I use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium (powder);
Arm&Hammer baking soda (baked in oven) for alkalinity;
and for magnesium I use 3 cups of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and 5 cups of BulkReefSupply's magnesium chloride dissolved in one gallon of water.

I've been using the above for years. I got the 'recipe' from Randy: An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

:)

Adam Black

I use kalkwasser via ATO for calcium or on the rare occassions it needs more, I use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium (powder);
Arm&Hammer baking soda (baked in oven) for alkalinity;
and for magnesium I use 3 cups of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and 5 cups of BulkReefSupply's magnesium chloride dissolved in one gallon of water.

I've been using the above for years. I got the 'recipe' from Randy: An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

:)

Thank you Doni I'll have to try that! What does everyone else use?

framerguy

I use Bulk Reef Supply's calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. I use Mrs Wages pickling lime (from canning section at grocery store)for my Calcium Hydroxide for kalkwasser. I use Ingles store brand Epsom Salts for Magnesium Sulphate.

jnohs

i have been useing

baking soda
calicum chloride (pelletized rock salt)
mag chloride
kalkawasser

i also dose viniger once and while but that is more of a catyalist than an addative.

i think i will be purchasing some epsome salt for additional magneasium supplementation.

those are dosed for the most part, regulary. I also have an iodide supplement. witch i add a tiny tiny amount about once every 2 weeks. I know this is considered a big no no. Truly I only add about a fifth of the recommended beginer dosing and only once every 2 weeks so that translates to 1/10 of the recommended minimum dosage. I figure that small dosing of some selecte trace elements is better than a premaid "all in one" trace element mix. with god knows what in it?

also have a stronium supplement. but i pretty much dont even use it.

prow

Ca+reactor here, media used is 97% Caribsea A.R.M. aragonite(coarse) media(gives 1:1 Ca+ to alk) and 3% ZEOmag(gives 1:2 Mg+ to alk). i also dose my newly mix salt water for water changes. i use sechems adv. Ca+ and MgCl- flakes for that, no need to dose alk, my salt "RC" is already high in alk.