Cabinet/stand question

chipmunkofdoom2

Well, plan for 10lbs per gallon of water and then include the weight of the rocks and substrate, plus the weight of the tank and creatures you put in.. if you feel comfortable with your ability to strengthen the stand, then go for it. I don't trust myself that much.

adsyrah

I'm wanting to use this furniture purely because the stands that come with tanks don't suit my tastes at all - they seem quite old fashioned.

Does anyone out there have any experience with modifying furniture or are stands always made from scratch?

gch.3

typically ikea furniture uses low grade particleboard. most commercial aquarium stands are made with high grade particle board. in time the lower grade wood will deflect witch could lead to tank failure. you might want to take this into consideration when reinforcing the stand. hope this helps.

DaveK

typically ikea furniture uses low grade particleboard. most commercial aquarium stands are made with high grade particle board. in time the lower grade wood will deflect witch could lead to tank failure. you might want to take this into consideration when reinforcing the stand. hope this helps.

This is quite correct. Never ever trust anything other than an aquarium stand with a tank of any size greater than about 10 gal. The weight is usually just too much. It's just not worth the risk.

adsyrah

Ah, fair enough. Thanks for the advice so far.

So, how easy is it to make a bespoke aquarium stand? I'm really looking to have quite a low one (no more than 60cm from the ground) so my new aquarium can fit underneath a window.

I've had real trouble finding any stands online that fit my requirements, so am slowly coming to the conclusion I either need to modify a piece of furniture I've already got or build my own stand from scratch.

Rhodes19

I'd say go with making your own stand. That way, you can make exactly what you want and probably much cheaper with better quality material. The down side is the time it takes but, the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself is quite nice. You can use basic tools and use 2x4s and or plywood. :)

WayneT

+1 on GCH.3. Particle board is made with water soluable glues. It will absorb water and eventually fall apart. IMHO I would never use any kind of particle board or MDF in construction on a tank stand.

I agree with rhodes, make your own stand. That's what I'm currently working on. I'm hoping this month (November) I'll be able to get the 1/2" or 3/4" plywood to skin the frame with, then I'll have to buy the trim's and few pieces of hardware, since my dad gave me 4 hinges last night from a dresser he scrapped. My stand will have a 75 or 90 gallon tank on top and a 55g in the stand that is being turned into a sump/fuge.

Using a furniture piece won't hold up to the weight of our reef tanks.