Ca supplementation: When do I start?

Raoul5Duke

I recently upgraded to T-5 lights and will soon be trying my hand at growing more LPS and my first SPS corals. I currently do not supplement my tank as the water parameters are all in check and I try and start with good quality salt (using Tropic Marine Pro right now). I was wondering if I should wait until Ca & ALk levels drop below acceptable params. before I start supplementing or if I should be proactive?? All of the articles I have read on chemistry seem to indicate there is no advantage to high levels of Ca increasing growth rates in corals. Does this sound correct?? THanks.

BigJay

Most likely if your doing your water changes in the correct amounts you won't have to dose anything. Don't add anything unless your tests show your calcium demands can't be met with your water changes. If thats the case only dose what you need to bring yourself back into range so I suggest reactive not proactive but proactive in your testing. You should have a pretty good baseline on what your calcium demands are.
Testing often over a couple week period of time and writing down the results along with any other parameters you can along with water changes will help you get a better picture.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent advice Jay.

I also subscribe (heavily) to the school of thought "IF you don't test for it do NOT dose for it!"

Doing several tests over a period of time will indeed give you a good baseline and "feel" for how your tank is handling it's current calcium demands. I do weekly or bi-weekly water changes (at least weekly testing) and thus far I do NO dosing. That tank is almost on Auto-Pilot now. I feed every other day or so and check top-off and such.

Raoul5Duke keep it simple and don't over complicate it before you have to. The simpler it is the greater your chances of success. :bluenod:

Again great advice Jay!

Raoul5Duke

Thanks guys/girls. I was hoping that would be the answer. I would prefer not to have anything else to add to maintenance regime unless absolutely necessary.

reef dummy

If you do have to add some supplementation of calcium I would highly recommend tropic-marin bio calcium, I use it and it works great.