Ca & Alk are ok pH still low

newsalt

I have been adding Kalk ( at a rate of 1 qt. a night) to my tank now for about 2 months. It has helped balance my Alk & Ca. At last nights reading:

Ca: 410
Alk: 8.48 dkH (3.03 meq/L)
Mg: 1230

I think that's pretty good. However, my pH is still below my target of 8.4. At night, the pH will go to 8.0. If I forget to drip kalk, it will go to 7.9. During the day, it will go to 8.1. Since my Alk/Ca/Mg are reasonably balanced, I'm guessing some other factor is the cause of my low pH situation. At first guess, maybe because I'm not running a skimmer (I'm saving for a Remora). It could also be excess CO2 in the room. Opening a window is not an option mainly because there are no windows in the room, just sliding glass doors. Also, here in NJ, summers can get hot so windows are shut for AC, and winters can get cold. I have one powerhead in the tank located about 2-3 inches below the surface. My Aquaclear 300 HOB provides some movement at the surface but obviously not enough. Should I add another PH to the tank right at the surface? Can I aerate the water with an airstone placed somewhere? Here's a stretch, what about placing a houseplant on top of my canopy. Plants consume CO2 don't they? Any advice?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Your ph is ok but a skimmer will bring it up considerably. You could open the sliding doors to let the room air out occassionaly. I don't like airstones because they cause a lot of saltcreep and I don't think you really need one. Make sure your filter sponges/substrate is clean;a dirty tank will drive the ph down. Your magnesium is low. I don't know that a house plant would help that much...

Good job getting your ca and alk in order!!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
What method are you using to check pH? If you are using a monitor, then try to recalibrate it first. I recommend this first for pH issues (with a monitor) when everything else is in line.

The windows don't have to be in the room to eliminate excess CO2 in the house. What you can do to see if it is a CO2 problem is take some tank water in a glass or container. Measure the pH. Then, take that same container outside for a little bit and measure the pH again. That should let you know about CO2. You can also do the same pH test without going outside, but using a powerhead.

Since your tank doesn't have a skimmer, you probably have some DOCs built up in the system. I suspect once you get your skimmer, you will do great. Hang in there and keep saving. I didn't think your pH is all that bad. Remember to post your salinity levels when checking on water parameters. Tank chemistry relies on this. If your salinity is 35 (35,000), that means you have 410 Ca, 1230 Mg, etc. It is a good practice to get into.

newsalt

My SG usually hovers around 1.025/1.026. I measure the pH with a meter. Maybe I'll recalibrate the meter, I haven't done that in a few months.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I air out our house on a regular basis just as a precautionary measure. It is a new home (very airtight) with all gas appliances (oven, furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, and fireplace) so the co2 can build up quickly... especially in the winter. The tank's ph serves as a very good co2 indicator for me :) lol

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
With no skimmer those are some nice numbers. A skimmer should drive off the excess CO2 you have and bring you within normal NSW pH. There is no need to target it to 8.2. A night of 8.0 and a day from 8.1-8.3 is fine. When some ones system is working well, within accepted range and they try too play with parmeter that is within range, they usaually make a mess of things.

Do you have a sump ? If so, suspend a box upside down in the sump, 3/4 submerged in water. Drill a hole in the top of box and attach a rigid airiline tube a few inches long. Then stick an airtsone under the box and "boil" that water. The air and CO2 will vent out the rigid tube and no/little salt creep.

Your tank is fine you just need a skimmer :D

Wood and Na gave you great advice :thumbup:

Originally posted by newsalt
Here's a stretch, what about placing a houseplant on top of my canopy. Plants consume CO2 don't they? Any advice?

1 acre of dense forest consumes the same amount of CO2 in one year that the average car puts off every 26,000 miles. Just a little fyi for ya.