C Balance

eric w

Ok tank has been going for about 8 months and it is time to start with a 2 part. I got my levels to where I want to start. I have a stock RSM250.. Where is a good dose to start at.. I will be checking as I go along just not sure of a good dose to start at. Thanks

SubRosa

Thanks but I'm looking for a good quantity to start with..

If your Ca + and Alk levels are where you want them, you shouldn't dose at all. You need to monitor how much they drop over a period of time to determine how much to dose and how often.

eric w

Ok thanks.. I had read something's where they tell you to get to your levels then add so much of each part an adjust from there... I was just trying to find a good starting point volume..

SubRosa

I'm not familiar with specifics of the product, but if you start with half of the recommended dosage and keep a close eye on your levels you'll figure it out. Ime you're better to start conservatively and have the levels drop a bit low and then adjust upwards, rather than the reverse. Also complete stability is not necessary to maintain good coral health. I normally dose after testing to give the tank a Ca+ reading of 440-460, and then don't redose until the level is at 420. How much and how often varies widely from tank to tank.

steved13

PREMIUM
Ok thanks.. I had read something's where they tell you to get to your levels then add so much of each part an adjust from there... I was just trying to find a good starting point volume..

+1 to SubRosa. There is no way of knowing how much to dose unless you know how much is being used by your livestock. I use a dosing pump, so it was a little easier but you can do it manually also...I started with a low dose and tested, and as long as the level was dropping I raised the dosage accordingly, once the level stopped dropping I knew I had the correct dosage to maintain, I raised the dosage slightly to bring the levels back up slowly, and then when the target was reached I went back to the maintenance dosage and levels stay very consistant. As corals grow ar are added, I check and adjust the dosage accordingly. This method is real world and IMO works better than any chart or table.

There are charts and tables that will tell you how much to dose, but none will be useful with the info you have. They all require a start level and a target level. You are at the target so the charts and tables would say dose nothing.

reefer gladness

Once you have alk and calcium where you want it test daily with a good test kit to see how much it drops. Every tank is different and products are different so we can't tell you how much. Any decent product will have instructions of how much to dose per volume of water to increase by a set amount. Don't forget about testing for magnesium, low magnesium will decrease the solubility of buffer and calcium.

Once you have a daily dosing routine set up you can test less frequently, every 2-3 days at first and then weekly to be sure your daily routine is on par.