Bye Bye Sixline

zy112

I purchased a smal sixline wrasse yesterday. In my previous tank I had great success with them, generally very easy to keep fish. In the LFS he looked healthy, ate like a pig. Everything seemed to be fine when I got home, wake up and hermits have his dead body tackled in the back of the tank. Any ideas on what happened? No signs of disease or bad health, is it possible the hermits ganged up on him? I've NEVER had this happen was kinda baffled

BobBursek

I dought the hermits ganged up on it, just bad aclimation IMHO, tank params maybe way different then LFS, IMHO, see if you can get a refund, and sorry for your loss.

fivel

I have seen red-legged hermit crabs, when at an older age and bigger size, actually spear a fish with their legs that got too close to them, but more than likely - I would guess that there was either something wrong with the fish and he died because of that and the hermits were just taking advantage of the situation.

How long did you spend acclimating him to your system?

Jess

I just had the same thing happen. Bought a 6-line on Monday, dead by Thursday. Found him on the bottom in the back with crabs galore, having a feast. No clue either..... I hate not having closure!

BobBursek

I dated a woman who worked at LFS, some [lack of propper word} unscrublious wholesale fish collectors use cyanide in the sea water to stun the fish to capture them. It affects there liver and in about 4-6 weeks they die. Most retailers will not buy from them, but at times it all gets lost between the collecters, middle person then the LFS. I have had a few of them, from the store she worked at. I hope that gave you some closure, now I only buy on line at DFS.

Jess

That is interesting, rbursek. I think I'll go with that! Yay, closure!

I tend to not even buy fish, but SOMEONE (you know who you are BIG guy) insisted I get a 6-line to take care of my flatworms. She was really so cute, too. Her name was Bette Midler. RIP little lady! :cry1:

BobBursek

Jess, it is Bob, LOL!!!!!!! Nothing wrong with a reef save Wrasse, I have a 6Liner, had a Star Leopard, really a beautiful fish but surfed during a thunder storm, they do like pods and bristle worms, good for that, but have lost 2 Mandarins from starvation in a mature tank with Wrasses in them, you have to be careful as I learned, on what and how many types of fish you can keep with there eating/feeding habits.

zy112

Well, I spent about 1.5 hours acclimating him. Not terribly long but I thought I got the job done for a 6line. I wasn't worried about it at all... like I said there pretty hardy and I've had no problems in the past. Who knows, I'm over it... would like my money back though.