HELP! Buying used tank

Pessy

Hi guys,

Super glad to have found you all. I'm a beginner with a 46 gallon tank and I have an opportunity to purchase a Red Sea Max S 500. I have a few questions for anyone who can give me advice.
1) Is it a good system and what are the red flags? 2) Which accessories will I minimally need to add at first to get it up and running properly?
3) The price is $2000. Is that a good value?

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Pessy

DaveK

When you evaluate a used system you need to look at the condition of the system and if it's missing anything. If it's all there, and in like new condition, that $2000 price could be a real bargain. They sell for about $5000 new.

Red Sea is considered a fairly good product. You could add additional units to it, but you shouldn't need anything to get it running. I'd set it up first, and then add on to it if needed.

Things to look out for would include broken or damaged equipment, missing critical parts, and lots of undoable modifications.

Also be aware if you need to take all the livestock. You might end up with something you really don't want, and you'll need to get rid of it one way or another.

Pessy

Thanks, DaveK. The tank is in brand new condition and includes everything from Red Sea, along with some extras.
About the existing livestock, it's an empty tank which is what I was looking for because I want to make it my own. SLOWLY.