Buying from Petco

scubaspew

Fools huh?:D

I didn't say you were a fool if you shopped at places like that I have, I'm saying you are a fool if you believe that those places aren't trying to lower their prices to put smaller stores out of business, because that's exactly what they are doing/trying to do.

PaulR

Actually- putting smaller stores out of business is usually not in the business plan. Certainly not for places like WalMart.

Smaller stores are *not* competition for WalMart in most cases. And the ones that are compete in ways that are just too expensive for WalMart to compete in.

You might note that though WalMart sells more TV's that anywhere else, high end audio / video shops are doing just fine. At least there are where they have real expertise. Same with pet stores, and even food markets.

WalMart has not put the bite on Whole Foods, for instance.

Same is true with PetCo / PetSmart etc.

They do NOT have putting the smaller stores out of business as a line item on their business plan.

There is no conspiracy there.

-Paul

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would also add in basic economic theory of Capitalism. Large retail corporations never put small retail out of business, because small shops are agile, and big ones are like glaciers. There are always new trends, big shops like Petco react slowly to them, where small shops can change over very quickly.

If you want to special order something say, go to Petco and it will take weeks. At the LFS, good chance it would be there later this week. Like I said, agile.

scubaspew

I would also add in basic economic theory of Capitalism. Large retail corporations never put small retail out of business, because small shops are agile, and big ones are like glaciers. There are always new trends, big shops like Petco react slowly to them, where small shops can change over very quickly.

If you want to special order something say, go to Petco and it will take weeks. At the LFS, good chance it would be there later this week. Like I said, agile.

All of this I would agree with but having been in the industry myself for years I do know for example, best buy gets in truckloads of cd's and sell them below cost to get people in the door to buy bigger stuff and spend more money, this hurts say a smaller record store, sure maybe they sell stuff too that best buy doesn't like vinyl but their margin for profit on things is so low that if best buy can sell a hundred cd's for 10.99 that cost 11.74 each and the little guy is say charging $13.99 which barely covers cost plus shipping, plus packaging and they can't sell it, then have to return it and lose more money on it, my point is this let's say you once had three or four places to go to and now you only have one, why would the one lose money selling you something? IMO the internet keeps this from happening...I am more so thinking long term, far off future, JMO, I like to support small stores no matter if I pay a little more, it makes me feel better.

scubaspew

P.S. In this hobby I think it's more important to shop where you not only get treated right but where the LFS knows what they are selling and cares about your tank and situations as they do their own and for you if that's Petco vs your smaller shop then by all means go there!

PaulR

I would be really surprised if Best Buy sold those CD's "below cost." Loss leader theory says sell stuff at, or better yet, just barely above cost.

My guess would be that some really nice "incentives" were offered on those CDs- such as a corporate rebate or a corresponding deep discount on the remaining order or something similar.

-Paul

PaulR

I like to think that way too - but then, saving $150 + 8.25% tax on a $600 light is enough to make me order if off the Internet. Usually with free shipping. :)

Support the LFS, pay $750 + $61.88tx for a total of $811.88, or $600? That $211 makes a difference to me.

Of course, the lights are not available at Petco, so there is not any local choices available.

-Paul

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
All of this I would agree with but having been in the industry myself for years I do know for example, best buy gets in truckloads of cd's and sell them below cost to get people in the door to buy bigger stuff and spend more money, this hurts say a smaller record store, sure maybe they sell stuff too that best buy doesn't like vinyl but their margin for profit on things is so low that if best buy can sell a hundred cd's for 10.99 that cost 11.74 each and the little guy is say charging $13.99 which barely covers cost plus shipping, plus packaging and they can't sell it, then have to return it and lose more money on it, my point is this let's say you once had three or four places to go to and now you only have one, why would the one lose money selling you something? IMO the internet keeps this from happening...I am more so thinking long term, far off future, JMO, I like to support small stores no matter if I pay a little more, it makes me feel better.

The internet is a perfect example of how small, flexible retail establishments kick the butts off the chains. FWIW, I rarely buy from the Marine Depots online, because I try to support the LFS shops like Premium Aquatics, even if they are someone else's LFS and not mine

ReefLady

Staff member
scubaspew - I agree completely. Another sad fact about the big box stores is that they are so large, they can essentially control the cost of the product from their supplier. Suppliers will do anything to lower their costs enough to be able to sell their product to the large chain stores. Which typically means that they end up closing US factories and outsourcing. On average, 10% of the goods imported to the US by China are sold by Walmart - that's about $25 billion/year in goods imported from China to Walmart alone. There are many conflicting reports of what that means in terms of US manufacturing jobs lost, but the smallest figures indicate over 200,000.

Big box stores also get a ton of Government subsidies...free or reduced-price land, infrastructure assistance, property tax abatements or discounts, sales tax rebates, low-interest tax-exempt loans etc., because they are big enough to push for it.

I'm not saying never shop at one of the big stores, also not saying I've never shopped there. Just trying to point out that shopping there isn't always the best choice. But heck, ya, sometimes there are deals to be had.

Poor dsmooth .... all this over a couple clowns. LOL

scubaspew

The internet is a perfect example of how small, flexible retail establishments kick the butts off the chains. FWIW, I rarely buy from the Marine Depots online, because I try to support the LFS shops like Premium Aquatics, even if they are someone else's LFS and not mine

Totally agree. I like small local places too because they usually know what they are talking about or will honestly tell you they don't. Like a lot of times I go to my local hardware store and the guy there is great he may not have what I need but by the time I leave I have a better understanding of what I need and the best way to do it, so when I have to go to home depot I don't have to deal with the guy just looking at me and shaking his head going what are you trying to do? And then telling me he doesn't know or having him just sell me the wrong part.

dsmooth

Ok i understand everyones point of view. I asked about Petco cause what i read in previous threads some peeps have been burned by buying fish from Petco. I have not seen any dieing fish at this Petco but have at others around town, and also at out LFS. (which i do support the clean ones) with that said i did it, i got my babies and i am soo happy. I have been eyeing them for a month, and i fell in love thats why. yes they are in my Q.T. tank. i want to thank everyone for their advise cause hey i'm a newbie and I need vets to lean on, I 'll plan on buying a camera this weekend to take pics, thx again

PaulR

<grin> It didn't really matter where you bought them, they were already your babies. Take good care of 'em. :)

:bouncer:

BLAKEJOHN

You did the best thing you could do before purchasing any live stock. Watch them and check on them often. Like it has been said it doesnt really mater where you get them as long as they are healthy. Yes I dont like petco and I dont like thier practices So I dont buy there. You got your "babies" so its a score for you.

jcrackz69

i bought a powder brown tang from petco and 3 days latter it died and infested my whole tank with ick. I bought a firefish and it died 26 hrs latter. they would not give a refund b/c it was over 24 hrs.

dianezoo

Look at how their store is set up, the blue wall of death is a very tiny section. They tons of great merchandise all pet related that you can imagine. Live fish is not their expertise thye broker with them but only becuase public wants it and there are many areas where local fish stores just dont exist.