Buying Fish Online

Witfull

its best to get them locally,,,you can see them and judge....i would recommend this for you at this time.

mgregory

I'd try and buy local if you can. Where I am there's only one place besides petco that sells saltwater anything and he knows it. Everything is twice as much as online. I would love to see the fish before I buy but in my case that's a very expensive idea.

Mark

NaH2O

Contributing Member
OK...here is why it is a good idea to buy locally....

1.) You get to observe the livestock. Observe the swimming behavior, observe the other fish tied into the system with it....note any diseases or things that don't look quite right. Also, observe it being fed. Not just ingesting the food, but also make sure it doesn't spit it back out.
2.) Ask the LFS if you can put a deposit on the fish for several days, a week or two. That way if it dies it didn't die in your tank, and you aren't out the purchase price of the fish.
3.) There isn't a large shipping stress. I can't imagine shipping a fish across a large distance as being unstressful. The stress could lead to potential immune system issues which could lead to disease. I'm not saying buying on-line is a no-no...there are many people that have great success with purchasing online, I'm just giving you some arguments against it.

Always be sure to follow acclimation procedures for whatever online retailer you go with. There may be replacement/refund issues if you don't follow their recommended acclimation technique. Check with the retailer you order from regarding live guarantees and acclimation procedures.

BoomerD

I got involved with a group buy from MarineDepotLive a couple of months ago. What a nightmare! about half the fish didn't even get shipped, of those that did get shipped, more than half went to the wrong person in another part of the Bay area. Everyone was lucky that he was honest, or we never would have known where that part of the order went. Approx 1/2 of the fish that we did get, died within 2 weeks, many within the 5 day guarantee time frame. It took more than a month to finally finish filling the order. Apparently, (according to them) they advertise lots of fish on their website, then when you order, they go out to the wholesalers and try to find the fish you ordered. Also adding to the problems was the fact that we ordered right after the 1st of the year, and apparently, many of the collectors are closed or not collecting for weather or other reasons during that time. I can say that they bent over backwards to finally make the order right with all of us, even threw in shipping & a few free fish to make up for the inconveniences, but overall, it was an unpleasant ordeal, one I'm not looking forward to trying again soon.

mgregory

Good advise Nikki. I wish I could buy local. It's much better to see the coral/fish and how it is doing.....I'm even looking at driving to Seattle on a "fish/coral run" just so I can see what I'm getting.

I wish I knew some good FS in Seattle...this first time may be recon only!!

mgregory

Ok thanks BoomerD. I just got that info from Nikki!!

I've been looking for some place to find info for the Seattle area should have asked here long ago!!

Thanks you both. Can't think of a better weekend, Mariners game, go fish shopping and enjoy awesome drive!!

Thanks again to both of you

Mark

Cougra

I would liek to add that unless you are ordering quite a few fish, even though the initial price seems to be cheaper online, once you add in the shipping costs, you are most likely paying a lot more for then you think.

Having said that, I will consider ordering some livestock online again (have in the past) because it simply isn't available in any of the LFS's around here and the LFS wont order any in for me.

MojosReef

I have used these people I lost one fish and it died 2 days after the guarantee. It never did eat but the rest did fine. I lost one the other day but I had it for over 8months, Everythings else is thriving.
Saltwater Fish.com

Witfull

Originally posted by mgregory
Can't think of a better weekend, Mariners game, go fish shopping and enjoy awesome drive!!

Dont forget to stop at Pikes Market and watch them throw fish around,,,and get some goodies for a feast when you get home.

Crakeur

it's always better to buy locally. you can see what you are getting and you can determine if the fish is healthy and eating. you are also helping keep a dying breed from becoming extinct.

that said, there are a few online retailers who I have bought from.

liveaquaria is one of the best in my opinion. they have a very long guaranty period and they refund your money (as opposed to the credit method) if you have the corpse (they've never asked for proof, just a confirmation of the corpse being visible). they claim they pack their livestock to last for 3 days in the bags and I have put them to that test once, thanks to a completely screwed up shipment. Everything lived.

I've bought from a lot of places and had very few bad transactions. The problem with the lfs is you are stuck buying what they have or waiting for what you want.

SeaShel

Although I would love to have the ability to always buy my fish locally, it often is not the case.
I can agree with liveaquaria.com being the best to get fish from. Their guarantee is definitely honored when needed (I got a credit the next day).
I can honestly say that I have had more fish die that were from several different local dealers even after observation while in-store, than have died from the online purchases. And the local dealers give no guarantee!

Best of luck on your decision.

mgregory

I would have to agree with the other posts. I have had very good luck with Dr Foster and their associated live sites.

Wit,

Pikes is a must but I thought it sounded weird, buying fish for the tanks and my stomach!!!

Mark

nigle

Oi!

IMO unless there is NO PLACE TO BUY fish locally and you HAVE TO buy on line, then OK, otherwise I can't see ANY benifit to do so.

Fortunately there are probably 15 stores with an hour drive of my house and probably more than that I don't even know about where you COULD buy fish. Now the question is weather I WOULD buy from most of them, and the answer is probably NOT!

My 'nice' LFS in Hobart, is run by people in the business that have had salt water for over 15 years BEFORE they got into retail, and the reason why I keep with them is not only the fish or coral, but the INFORMATION that comes along with. Other places in the area will sell 'product' as if it was a burger and fries, 'Just get it out of the store!' If the places that you have are like that then 1. sorry for that, but 2. MAKE THEM TALK TO YOU! If you know about the fish you want, and you ask questions that you know the answers too and they can't answer them then you 'politely' tell them they are idiots. If they are going to sell the product then they should KNOW THE PRODUCT!

One of my biggest 'beefs' with this [salt water] industry is that many of the stores still treat it like fresh water......you buy , it dies, you buy more! Salt water fish can live for decades, even $4.00 chromis.

I'm getting excited again, sorry.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!