Button polyp tried to eat my pulsing xenia.. what to do?

Cassette87

Sounds strange i know, but there are some button polyps close to my brand new pulsing xenia, and i guess the current moved one of the xenia's arms towards the mouth of the polyp... and sure enough, it got stuck in there and the polyp was trying to take it in. i'm glad I caught that and pulled it out! What should i do about theis? the xenia is already over 50% attached to it's new home... and i like it where it is... any experience with this? ideas? Thanks guys!

DaveK

You will need to move one or the other. However, Xenia usually moves quickly on it's own, and that may solve the problem for you.

Warnberg

Can ya send me one of those Xenia eating things? I have Tons of pulsating Xenia and have to throw it out to thin it out... Weeds I tell ya.

murkywaters

Can ya send me one of those Xenia eating things? I have Tons of pulsating Xenia and have to throw it out to thin it out... Weeds I tell ya.
I love the light pink pulsing xenia. You can send me all you want. I would ecstatic to take them off your hands.

Cassette87

You will need to move one or the other. However, Xenia usually moves quickly on it's own, and that may solve the problem for you.

:smack: That's not what i wanted to hear... i like the xenia where it's at, and there are only about 6 polyps near it... i wonder if i could get away leavin it....? any other input on this.... i don't really want to have to disturb the xenia again :confused:

woolfe

I would just adjust the flow so the branch swings away from the button. If you can't do that stick something between them until the xenia takes off. I used a flat piece of rock for that once and it worked out great. You really don't have to worry too much about xenia. If it likes your tank. It's like Warnberg :LOL: said. I started with one little stem.....I've got about an 18" wall of it. I frag it and sell it to the LFS for $10 a pop. Is it the pink xenia? If so that's different. Here's a pic.

I have tons more then that now. I can't find a good pic of it & it's all closed up or I would just take one now. I'll post it tomorrow when they're open.

Attachments

• - 006.jpg
    - 006.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 37

Cassette87

I would just adjust the flow so the branch swings away from the button. If you can't do that stick something between them until the xenia takes off. I used a flat piece of rock for that once and it worked out great. You really don't have to worry too much about xenia. If it likes your tank. It's like Warnberg :LOL: said. I started with one little stem.....I've got about an 18" wall of it. I frag it and sell it to the LFS for $10 a pop. Is it the pink xenia? If so that's different. Here's a pic.

I have tons more then that now. I can't find a good pic of it & it's all closed up or I would just take one now. I'll post it tomorrow when they're open.

There are a couple pics of it in my thread in my sig if you wanted to take a look. i think it was kind of a fluke that it happened but adjusting the flow is a good idea... thanks :)

XBwlr

If your tank is healthy, you'll have buttons and xenia EVERYWHERE!

I'm with Warnberg on this... I've got to throw it out when it gets too thick. The LFS doesn't take anymore... I gave them a bunch one time and it didn't sell like he thought it would. Heck, I think he still has my rock in there.

Next time I go to thin it out, I'll let y'all know. If you're close come and get it. Supposedly it doesn't ship too well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Next time I go to thin it out, I'll let y'all know. If you're close come and get it. Supposedly it doesn't ship too well.

Well in fact it DOES ship well. I have gotten 2 different frags of it in the last 2 weeks. One was brought to me from a local reefer but it was bagged and in transit all day long. The other was shipped via USPS (2-3 day NOT over night) and it arrived in GREAT shape and is pulsing like crazy as I type this. meemoo shipped it and she suspended it in the bag upside down attached to a piece of Styrofoam so that it was always submerged in the water. It was pulsing IN the bag.

I think if you really took your time to package carefully chances are it could survive.

As for the "hungry polyp" I think what's happened is the Xenia has merely tried to attach itself and the polyp maybe became irritated and closed up. Like mentioned before, just find a way to separate them and chances are it will all work out in a little while for the best.

Allen :)

mps9506

Well in fact it DOES ship well. I have gotten 2 different frags of it in the last 2 weeks. One was brought to me from a local reefer but it was bagged and in transit all day long. The other was shipped via USPS (2-3 day NOT over night) and it arrived in GREAT shape and is pulsing like crazy as I type this. meemoo shipped it and she suspended it in the bag upside down attached to a piece of Styrofoam so that it was always submerged in the water. It was pulsing IN the bag.

I think if you really took your time to package carefully chances are it could survive.

I will say for a fact that xenia can be a very funky shipper. It's an odd coral in that it is extermely hardy, grows very quickly. But it can also die just as quickly. I have seen folks have three or four years of growth die overnight with everything else in there tank survive fine.
Same goes for shipping. As an LFS I never ordered the stuff from wholesalers because it would come in dead 50% of the time no matter which wholesaler or transhipper I used. But I never had issues with folks that brought it in locally. It just meant that sometimes I'd be out of it for months at a time and new customers would get pissed because I wouldn't order tham a peice of xenia that would probably come in dead and would cost them $40-$50 for a 3 inch piece....

Cassette87

it wasn't the foot of the xenia that it tried to eat, it was one of the arms... so i don't really think it was trying to attach anywhere... i'm going to let it be for now i suppose, and hope it was a once in a million fluke... i did change the flow a bit too. thanks guys :) if anyone else has advice.. it certainly is welcome!

woolfe

Here it is now. My wall (top right) and all the frags I have ready to go.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 30