Burn Baby Burn

gussy

The temperature sensor on one of my Hydro Heater/Pump comb 300 (there are two in the tank) on my 20 gallon failed. I didn't notice it until about 12 hours later. I know that it was around 12 hours as the temperature was at 79 the night before and it was at 90 sometime the following morning. What prompted me to look was because the LTA and green ricordia mushroom looked strange. I immeidately removed both heaters and let the water temperature dropped gradually to around 80. Two days later, this is what happen to my leather:

20G_New_Year_Burn_-_01.jpg

Everything else including the zoas, fishes, crabs, acro, etc. survived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty yucky, but your pretty lucky! For future reference I strongly recommend running your heaters of a controller like the ReefKeeper or AquaController. You can set a turn on point via the temp probe.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Thats exactly why I don't like the all in one type things ;) If one craps out, you're screwed on the other. A seperate heater and powerheads is the best way to go IMO. Save the all in ones for the FW tanks, you wouldn't loose anything worthwhile ;)

BoomerD

90 degrees is a LITTLE warm. usually, by the time it gets to 87-88, corals start dying. I'm surprised you haven't had problems with the fish with a temp spike and drop like that. That much change is usually enough to cause some serious stress, and often brings on ICH...Hopefully, things will pull thru ok. A GOOD heater is definitely in like...I used to like the Ebo-Jagers, but those don't exist any more...Now, just called Jager, and made by another company. I don't know how the quality is since the change. Hopefully good.

mt79

Witfull said:
i still have a 20yr old ebo working great in my 210~
Damn.... Marineland Stealth heaters come w/ a lifetime warranty but I wouldn't count on it lasting 20 years let alone finding the receipt after that long lol.

gussy

The leather is gone...totally melted. Everything else is okay. What I'm going to do now is to have heaters plug to a temperature controller that is set a few degrees higher. This way if the heater sensors go bad the temp controller will catch it.

BoomerD

In my PC, I have a link for a DIY heater controller. Made from an extra ebo-jager heater and a few spare parts, it keeps your heater from overheating...Once I get it back from the shop, I'll post the link if this thread is still active.

addict

What I'm going to do now is to have heaters plug to a temperature controller that is set a few degrees higher.

Actually, what I'd do is do it the exact opposite of that... use the temp controller as your 'master', and set the temp on the heaters to your maximum safe temperature (like 86). Temp controllers are a ton more accurate than most temp sensing circuits in heaters, and they're also a ton more reliable. The chances of the controller failing are very slim, but if it does, the heaters will turn themselves off if the temp gets too high.

That's the way I'm doing it on my tank, and so far things are working just peachy. :)