Bulk head and return pump

BuDZnSuDS

I was gunna buy a 1inch bulkhead and drill bit with a pvc pipe overflow. so what size return pump would i need? its a 10gallon sump/fuge project for my 30 gallon fowlr tank. Would 1 inch be to big?
Blake

Reddog170

A 1 inch would work, that is what i have on my 55 and I use a gen x 6000 return pump. The pump is faster than the overflow but I like it this way i can add top off water to the sump turn down the relief valve and top off the display tank without disturbing anything. If the 1 inch is to big for yours you can always put in a valve to slow it down, you will want a valve in it any way. I know this is why my entire dining room and kitchen got mopped at 2 in the morning.

BuDZnSuDS

Yeah i was going to put a valve on it but where and how do i put it on the pvc i really want to get this right the first time cuz my tank in on a upper floor that is carpeted and dont wanna owe anyone money for floor damage lol.

Reddog170

I put mine right above the sump, easy to get to. I would have preferred the gate valve for this but when I saw the gate valve for $12 and the ball valve for $5 that made up my mind. Orschlens carries both, if I could do it over I would have spent the extra money on the gate valve at the ball valve seems to be getting sticky.

wanareef

Those ball valves from HD and Lowe's get really hard to turn after a while, that's why I just use true-union ball valves. Eaiser in the long run. You can get some off of Ebay for a decent price.

rmlevasseur

For what its worth, I think its a terrible idea to have a pump too powerful for your overflow, unless you are bleeding it off any way to fuges, skimmers, etc. I'd also suggest two drains whenever possible.