Bulb and reflector options for T5

Cannoy

I have had 4 39 watt bulbs on my 38 gallon tank for years (2 10,000k 2 actinic) with tek2 reflectors. Is there a better option out there? And unless there are skinnier reflectors 4 bulbs is all i can fit.

DaveK

The option you have on your tank is about what I would use with T5 lighting. You can fine tune the bulbs if you want more or less blue, but over all you should be fine for most corals.

Four bulbs is about all you should ever need. Let me ask you this question, what do you want to keep that is going to require more light? I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with anything.

Cannoy

Im assuming no clams or sps, but maybe anemones? And i would like my tank to be a little more blue but im unsure what bulb combination i can use and still keep most corals.

Mike Johnson

You can greatly increase the par value of your lights output by using better bulbs. On my 8 bulb light I use 4 Blue Plus, 3 Aquablue Special, 1 Purple Plus. A lot more output than your 10K and actinic bulbs.

Diverjohn

I agree with Mike on the blue look. I run 4 54w 2 blue plus, 1 aqua blue special and 1 coral plus.. I have various SPS growing under these lights along with LPS and softies.

Cannoy

so i should be able to keep sps with 4 39w bulbs? as long as i keep the close to the top of the tank im guessing.

DaveK

DaveK

You can greatly increase the par value of your lights output by using better bulbs. On my 8 bulb light I use 4 Blue Plus, 3 Aquablue Special, 1 Purple Plus. A lot more output than your 10K and actinic bulbs.

I agree with Mike on the blue look. I run 4 54w 2 blue plus, 1 aqua blue special and 1 coral plus.. I have various SPS growing under these lights along with LPS and softies.

To be fair to the op, what size tank are you guys running those fixtures on?

The op has a 38 gal tank, so it's unlikely they can put a 6 or 8 bulb fixture on the tank, and have it fit and get most of the light directed into the tank.

DaveK

so i should be able to keep sps with 4 39w bulbs? as long as i keep the close to the top of the tank im guessing.

Considering the tank size, I don't think you'll have an issue with SPS anywhere in the tank, as long as you maintain the water and keep it stable.

When you deal with SPS for the first time, you don't run out and get 20 expensive frags and see how they do. You get 1 or 2 comparatively easy ones that are inexpensive, and try them first. When they do well, you can go back and add more expensive or exotic stuff.

Cannoy

When i first got my t5 retrofit kit t5 bulbs were a kinda a new thing and people were saying that sps corals wouldnt do well, but i guess things have changed. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Diverjohn

To be fair to the op, what size tank are you guys running those fixtures on?

The op has a 38 gal tank, so it's unlikely they can put a 6 or 8 bulb fixture on the tank, and have it fit and get most of the light directed into the tank.

I'm running 4 T5 retro kit on a standard 75. I have grown sps from acros to monti's from top to bottom of the water column. I also run 2 2bulb aquatic life T5 fixtures on my 55gal frag tank, granted water is only 12" deep, but still grows sps with no problems.

I don't think he should have a problem with the 39w.

pablomay28

So what 4 bulbs would you suggest to me? and i do like a bit of a blue tint.

From ATI

Here's a some of our customer's favorite combinations. We have found most folks prefer a bluer look to their tank as it helps to bring our more colors in their corals. Please remember that bulb choice is ultimately a matter of personal preference and what works for one, may not work for another.

16K - 20K - Bluish white with a noticable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
•3 ATI Blue Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus
6-Bulb combination
•4 ATI Blue Plus
•1 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
•5 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
•6 ATI Blue Plus
•3 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus

12K - 16K - Cool white with a noticable blue and red under-tone

4-Bulb combination
•2 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Coral Plus
6-Bulb combination
•3 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
•4 ATI Blue Plus
•3 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
•5 ATI Blue Plus
•4 ATI Coral Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus

10K - 14K - Crisp white with just a hint of blue

4-Bulb combination
•2 ATI Blue Plus
•1 ATI Aquablue Special
•1 ATI Purple Plus
6-Bulb combination
•3 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Aquablue Special
•1 ATI Purple Plus
8-Bulb combination
•4 ATI Blue Plus
•2 ATI Aquablue Special
•2 ATI Purple Plus
10-Bulb combination
•5 ATI Blue Plus
•3 ATI Aquablue Special
•2 ATI Purple Plus

I like the blue look also but I have been told that coral will not grow as fast. You can also check some video on youtube by typing in ati lighting

Cannoy

I think i would like the 12k - 16k but I guess i will not know until i actually see them. With the different bulb combinations is it just for color preference and everything will grow fine just maybe a little slow?

Diverjohn

I think i would like the 12k - 16k but I guess i will not know until i actually see them. With the different bulb combinations is it just for color preference and everything will grow fine just maybe a little slow?

The question is what are you comparing the growth rate too, and what corals? SPS isn't going to grow as fast under T5 as it would under MH but will do better then if it were under LED. LPS and softies will do well under the T5. Growth doesn't also just depend on lights it also has to do with water quality and what certain corals need to grow. IMO I don't think you will have any regrets going to the ATI bulbs in 12k-16k range and you will still see significant growth from most to all of your corals.