Building new sump got a few questions

R1junkie

Ok as the title states am I getting ready to build my new sump from a 29g tank. I don't have my skimmer or pump yet but I know which ones I will be getting. The dimensions of the tank are 30l x18.75h x12.25d, will be putting a skimmer that has 12"x8.5" footprint, 6-7.75" operating depth and pump with aprox 5"x3"x5.5" footprint with no piping attached. I have watched some vids on youtube on how to make them so I know how to setup the bubbletrap, What I need to know is how tall do I make the baffles. I do have a little room to set the skimmer on a platform to make that chamber deeper if that helps any. Any suggestions for layout?

R1junkie

Thanks nano have that bookmarked it has lots of good info on it. My tank has 2-1" drains and 1-3/4" return if that will make any difference.

R1junkie

Ok dumb question but how do you get the silicon in between the bubble trap panels, only thing I can find on the youtube videos is use a piece of tube, but it realy doesn't explain it more than that.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cut it an 8th short. Dob up the silicone n push it into the gap.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Built347

1/4" acrylic will work.. any area that will be holding back 2" or higher water will need to be braced... It will eventually let go if not.. plastic doesn't glue to glass very well... I still use plexi dividers because plastic is so easy to work with and if done right (overdone) it will hold but for the record glass on glass is the only worry free option..

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

bmplank86

Yup I believe mine were 11 7/8". Then when I lined the baffles up and laid the silicon, I used my finger to push some into the gap. My sump has 1/4" baffles, so if you use 4 plan to loose an inch when deciding chamber sizes.

Life motto: "No rain, no rainbow"