Bubbles in my sandbed

MrPex

Hiya-

60 gal, FOWLR, ~2.5 inches of sand, 3 months old, 2x150w MH on for 8 hrs/day, 40 lbs LR, NO2 and NH4 are 0, NH3 < 20, PH 8.3, SG 1.025, 79-81 F, 20x turnover/hr, 30-40 snails (Trochas, Margarita, Cerith), 1 Skunk Cleaner, 5 Yellow Tail Damsels, 1 Electric Blue Hermit, 2 Emeralds.

I upgraded my lighting last Tuesday from 2x50 watt regular CFLs (came with the tank) to a 2X150w MH, that's the only major addition in the last month. About 3 weeks ago, I discovered my SG was 1.032 and over the course of 3 water changes weeks, brought it down to 1.025- it hit 1.025 not this last weekend, but weekend before last. Since adding the new lights last Tuesday, I've had a bit of a brown algae bloom and am dealing with that by having added some more snails. (Waiting to see if they improve the situation.)

Today, I came home form work and there are TONS of bubbles in my sand! The bubbles go down at least a half inch (as I can see through the glass), and appear to be coming up everywhere in the tank, and they seem to have appeared overnight. I don't detect any odor, and my livestock all appears healthy, and my water is clear as it usually is. I did lose a giant Zebra Striped Turbo the same day I added my lights last week, but that's the only negative thing that I've seen on my livestock lately, but that was before these bubbles.

What is the cause of all these bubbles?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's all part of some "normal" tank cycles. It could be from the added light (more light energy = more algae energy) it it could be the sand bed maturing and literally breaking Nitrates down into a harmless Nitrogen Gas. If I were betting I'd say it's just algae giving off gas and you're just seeing it more than before. My 12g NanoCube did this very thing for months and months. It was even more noticeable when the pumps are off.

MrPex

It's all part of some "normal" tank cycles. It could be from the added light (more light energy = more algae energy) it it could be the sand bed maturing and literally breaking Nitrates down into a harmless Nitrogen Gas. If I were betting I'd say it's just algae giving off gas and you're just seeing it more than before. My 12g NanoCube did this very thing for months and months. It was even more noticeable when the pumps are off.

Awesome, thanks BA. :bouncer: I knew the added light was going to bring on the algae issue, and I was preparing to buy the snails for that. But the suddenness of the bubbles' appearance had me a bit freaked. One thing I've learned in this hobby is that, usually, nothing good happens fast.

MrPex

Thanks, BA, I'm already familiar with that thread! Got to deal with a few bubble algae a few weeks back- nothing bad, was able to head it off rather quickly and it hasn't returned.

I do have a diatom bloom going on- yesterday it wasn't bad, but today, after I walked in from work, it's REALLY bad. And it just occurred to me what might be the genesis of all this- Saturday, I did a water change and top off. I only had 5 gals of RO and put in another 4 gallons of tap. It was Sunday that I noticed a bit of a diatom bloom, then yesterday a bit more, than BAM, today, it's everywhere, and pretty thick. It has to be the tap I put in because adding the lights wouldn't matter to diatoms.

So it looks like I'll be doing a big water change on this Sat, and the snails should get fat and happy catching up on the diatoms. (By the way, last night, under the lunar lights, I saw three of my Margaritas shooting either eggs or sperm into the water.)

Thanks again!

MrPex

One last note here... I have been back to using nothing but rodi for water changes. The added snails and rodi have brought down the diatoms... still some left on my sand though. I added a 6" Spider Conch today and it seems to really be cleaning that stuff out.

Interesting note: My nitrates had been steadily around 20ppm, and suddenly they have dropped to 0 since I started cleaning up from this diatom bloom and bubble episode.