Bubble coral & maroon clown hosting question

msalih81

Hi all, I've had a green bubble coral about a month now and when I picked him up at the LFS he was under regular flourecent lighting and he was fully expanded. I took it home and fully expanded for the first week or so and now only inflates 1/2 way at most and closes up early almost everyday. I thought maybe he was getting too much light so I moved him to a less lighted area still on the sand. I waited a few days and nothing changed. Then I thought if I tried to lessen the flow it would help but neither did that. All my water parameters are in check and I am supplementing trace elements between water changes which is every other week. Also I feed it marine snow about once a week. I have LED's and the temp is always 89-82 degrees.

I added carbon today thinking it could help if my green star polyps are sending out any chemical signals. There are no corals near it and my zoas, anemones, green stars, and mushroom are doing fine. I didn't know if the maroon clown hosting with it is the cause and if so will the coral die or is there anything I can do? Or could it be not enough light?

Thanks all!!!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
So did I read the torch is hosting the clown? If so ya lps coral get pissy for awhile when clowns love em. Takes a week or 2 but the coral should persevere.

..........the mayor has spoken

soco

Also 89-82? Thats a big flux in temp and a bit warm

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

msalih81

So did I read the torch is hosting the clown? If so ya lps coral get pissy for awhile when clowns love em. Takes a week or 2 but the coral should persevere.

..........the mayor has spoken

It's actually a bubble coral, does the above statement still hold true? thanks

N83259

I have had a bubble coral for a little over a year, and like yours, it had grape sized polyps when I got it from a local retailer. Now the polyps are more the size of large peas. (mine is in the sand bed)

It extends it's tentacles regularly and feeds vigorously on mysis shrimp and seems to be growing slowly. I don't consider this a problem. My GUESS is that light is the main factor influencing polyp size, as my retailer's lighting is weaker then my set up.