Bubble algae... Grrr!!!

prow

i would just let it be. every time i have had bubble algae i watch spread and disappear every time. JME. and its happend a few times in a few tanks but the end is the same. each tank has its own algeas and bacterias. some people get a cyno bloom others get hair algae some get dino's others get diatoms or other film types. you just happend to get bubble. let it bloom and cycle no worries.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
who told you, you need a reactor???

I dont know have one,

i have 0 ph4,

dood! its simple, just eaze off the frozen foods a little, chill out on dumping stuff in the tank, Do a regular water change more frequent water changes,

and be patient, Its not gonna happen over night,

Thanks. I've been at this for a while. I decided on my own to get the reactor. The reactor is gonna be my temporary "quick fix" and I've wanted something to run carbon anyways. My schedule is a little too hectic with school and work to allow me to not feed pellets and frozen. I try to soak in RO too, but if I'm feeding pellets, I will sometimes just dump them in if I am running out the door.

Oh, and as for "dumping stuff in the tank" I haven't added a new fish in over 6 months, until monday when I got a tang. I have a relatively light bioload too. I'm not "dumping" anything in that can't be easily removed either.

In the 4 years that I've been in this hobby, I know what patience is, and while it is sometime tough, I've managed to overcome it. I've been fighting this problem for quite a while now. I'm not expecting an immediate change.

Sorry to be so defensive, but maybe before you come off so strong, you should look at how long someone has been a member, or at least read the post to see how long a problem has been occurring.

burning2nd

agreed 100%

but let me elaborate alittle

2 things,

first,
you said frozen.... Frozen what? any frozen Food IMo needs to be Soaked and stain'd some what, to remove the stuff they put in there to preseve it.

Thats usely Ph4 (which is pritty much in anything raped in plastic)

2nd
if you have bin in the hobby for 4+ years then you know whats up already.

i dont think the amount of time you were a member on any fourm of any soft, should be a judgement point on someones know-how.

ive met people with 20k+ post that still dont get it.. and your not one of thoes people

you will be fine, just contuine water changes, and try no to feed frozen with out soaking (thats more then most of your problem)

Ive bin fightin "probly" thee most agressive algae, in the world.
a cross between Bryopsis pennata and Caulerpa taxifolia

untill you have delt with it your self, you will now understand...

at this point it would have bin eazyer to build a completly new system.

Good luck with the battle,

keep us updated.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
My feeding schedule is as follows-
Every other day I feed pellets. Sometimes I won't let a day go between feedings, and if this does happen, the "in between" feeding is about half sized. I try to soak the pellets (Dainichi Reef Veggie mix) in RO if I have time.

About 1-2 times per week I feed frozen mysis, thawed in tank water that is most of the way strained of, if I don't have time to soak in RO. I also alternate with Sally's (?) Emerald Entree, prepped the same way.

My fish are total pigs, so maybe one or two pellets hit the sand, even my watchman gets to it before it does. Whatever doesn't get eaten immediately is quickly picked up by my large sand cleaning crew (2 tigertail cukes-one that split, 2 fighting conch's, approx. 40 nass. vibex, and my dinnerplate+ sized brittle star).

I'm not saying I know everything, as I know that I'm far from it, and I know that it is truly impossible to do so, especially in this hobby. I'm just saying, that while I may not post a whole lot, I have a photographic memory (though selective at times :D), so I can absorb info and retain it (if it interests me- this is where that selective part comes into play). I usually have good idea of what is going on, I just post to either get confirmation, or to see if there is some new technique that I haven't run across.

My original thought as to why I have this algae problem is not what I put into the tank, as I've had larger bioloads and way overfed in the past with the same foods with no problems, but rather a lack of adequate nutrient export. I currently don't have the means (space) to set up a refugium, as I cannot fit a larger tank under my stand for a sump/fuge. While I have the money to buy a new skimmer, I would really rather not, just because I there are other things I can do with the $300+ that an Octopus Recirc or ASM would cost. My next best option to remove things (aside from my normal 20% monthly WC's) is to use a chemical media, like phosban in a reactor, to remove what I don't want.

The reasoning for my previous 50g tank to be successful was that my skimmer was more efficient for the tank size, and it was also a better brand of skimmer. I also had a fuge that I made out of an AquaClear 500 filter. This isn't something that I can do (HOB fuge) on this tank, because it is out in the main part of the house and I can't move the tank that far away from the wall without restricting the hallway it is in too much. Not to mention that AC500 filter would be like a pin prick on an elephant's but...

I understand that you have "0 PO4", but you have to consider the fact that your algae that you are fighting is eating all of it out of your water before you can test it. That is what is feeding the algae. My water also reads at an undetectable level for PO4, but that doesn't in any way, shape, or form prove that I don't have a PO4 problem. It just means that I have algae that is out competing my test kit. If I put some competition in there (i.e. phosban reactor) My algae, in theory will starve down to an equilibrium, but hopefully gone all together.

Jorgens

For What it's worth, i hvae a mathrix crab. h'es huge. Fortounatly he's never bothered anything and he keeps my bubles away. But he's the only mathrix i have so theres no competetion. I had some bubles on a few pieces of coral I bought back in October of last year. H'es taken care of those and I have been bubble free ever since.

burning2nd

No hermits?

(just a thought)

also no sump... thats the killer for the export. what bout No3?
a reactor will deffintly give the aglae some comp...

i know this sounds ugly, but maybe some cheto in the corner cliped up of something......

My tank goes thur algea wars.....
The cheto gets big, i export then the byropsis gets big, (i dont touch) that will start to die off, (the dieing off part i remove) the cyno grows over on top of it. then the cheto starts to grow ageain (which is where im at now)

id like to call it, the 3rd cheto season.

what about top off water? what are you useing for that

(u might have already said, on the other page. but if i go back now ill loose all i typed)

:)

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I do have a sump, problem is that my skimmer is so friggin huge that all that I can fit in is the return pump, baffles and the skimmer. I can't get a larger sump in my stand unless I butcher the stand to get it in (there is room inside otherwise).

My fish like to tear apart cheato, my potter's angel specifically, so I can't do that. Cheato also does best when it tumbles, which means that I'd have to have it free-floating through my tank.

My topoff is RO (no DI yet). My tds meter says the water out of my RO unit is 14ppm. I buy my RO water that I use for WC's (home unit is too slow), which tests at a TDS of 4-9. I've tested for phosphates and nitrates before, and they both came up undetectable.