BTA Finally Split!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi All! My huge BTA finally split yesterday evening! I have tried several methods to get it to split but nothing seemed to work. I decided not to do a water change for awhile and then noticed the BTA was started to shrivel up really bad and almost did a water change so I would not lose it!

Then yesterday morning I looked in the tank to check my clams and I about fell backwards over a chair and hollered at the wife to come and look see. It has divided into two of them. It may divide again by the looks.

I just got done with a 15 gallon water change and will take a pic or two when they are fully recovered from the ordeal. Don't know if the not doing the water change stressed it enough or not but it worked if that was it! Thought I would share! :)

ScottT1980

So the premise is to stress these guys out until they decide to split? It makes sense biologically but I was unaware of this method...

Take er easy
Scott T.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
congrats :D My rose split about a month ago into three I believe it was also stress that caused the split also because it wedged itself so deep into a crevice in the LR that the only way for it to move was to split. That's my theory anyway ;)

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
So the premise is to stress these guys out until they decide to split? It makes sense biologically but I was unaware of this method...

Actually I remember reading a few years back (or maybe I was talking with Boomer - can't remember), that the likely reason that anemones split in captivity is because of stress. The theory is that it is a sort of self-preservation reaction.

Not sure if it's true or not, but it does kind of make sense.

jimeluiz

Congratulations! Very cool:spinner:

I can see why stress would promote a reproduction response. An old trick in the flowering plants business (for some species) is to 'convince' the plant it is about to die and it will then put its final juice into flowering and then sprouting seeds to keep the lineage going.

Not sure I like that idea with our little charges, however.

I'm hoping happy BTAs will split too.

Great New Year surprise! :clink:

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey jimeluiz! I am not fond of stressing the BTA either and in the process stress other critters in the reef but it was getting quite large and needed to do something as I lost a couple of corals on account of it's size!

Everything else was fine and I did the large water change this morning and everything looks crisp and clear and fishes look very happy.:)

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Must be a BTA week, mine shriveled up last night it was sooo large it could not get back up under the rock, so I am waiting on the lights here in the next hour to see if I have two!!!1 Pray for me. I know mine did not split from stress, and believe me I stressed it to no end trying to get it to split. Perhaps it was just time!

J

jupiter

Originally posted by ReefLady
... the likely reason that anemones split in captivity is because of stress. The theory is that it is a sort of self-preservation reaction. ...

I've always followed this idea. Everytime people talk about how their BT anemone has split I think to myself, "I wonder what they did wrong?" :D Just being funny. No need to attack me if your anemone splits every other day or something.

addict

Heheh Johnny...
Be careful what you wish for... I kept wishing mine would split, and now I have 5!
Well... at least once I figure out how to get them off the rock I'll have some trade-ins. :D

Congratulations! :cool:

TDEVIL

congrats, i knew you could do it, i just figured that you gave up

very cool, awaiting the pics ;)

TD