BTA Deflates

angnak

My BTAs have been deflating every day for about a week now. Is this okay? No changes in water quality. Everything is were it should be concerning water quality. I have had one for about 8 months and it just split about a month or two ago. I feed them about once a week. I have not noticed this before, but do notice it every once in a while but not usually this frequent. Any suggestions or advice.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've read that deflation of anemones is caused by lack of lighting. What type of lighting do you have? How old are the bulbs?.. the spectrum could have changed enough to affect the corals.

angnak

I have about 500-600w of PC and fluorescent lighting on a 92 corner bow front. The bulbs are about 8 months. thought about the bulbs and I have only replaced a couple of them a couple months back. I am in the process of setting up my 210 and will have 3 250w MH and 4 160w VHO on that tank. Do you think they can hold out for another week or two if this is the case?

Last edited:

SaltyQueen

i would think as long as they're eating & not staying permanently deflated that they should be able to hold out for at least a week- let us know if the new lighting helps at all.

jimeluiz

Ours occationally deflates, sometimes once/day for about an hour or so, then back to 'normal.' I have read that the anemone will deflate as a strategy to 'take a break' from all the lighting (how's that for completely confusing the situation: too little light/too much light?) It is similar to it wandering under or behind the rockwork to get some shade.

At times it can deflate so completely it is totally freaky. Tiny. Maybe 1/10th of itself.

As with most other situations I don't totally understand in our tank I nervously post here for feedback, then wait it out. And things always seem to remedy themselves.

Maintain stable water quality, etc. and sit back and enjoy the journey.

hth

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
An occassional, temporary deflation is very normal and should not raise any concern. But a "gradual, constant, permanent deflation" could be signs of a problem.

Mine deflate every so often to excrete dark yucky stuff but quickly inflate to their normal size.

Keep us posted!