BSJF PVC/Barnacle home or let them dig their own?

SeaSkull

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum. I recently upgraded a 34 gallon nano to an established 65 gallon tank. I just purchased a BSJF from my lfs ($100.00) and introduced him to the tank yesterday as my first fish. I have a PVC home for him, but when I let him go he quickly dashed for the live rock to my dismay. I should have used tupperware or a water bottle to introduce him directly to the PVC/barnacle home (I read about this on the nano-reef forums after the fact).

He is doing very well in a cave near the front of the tank, directly behind the pvc home....lol. To my surprise he came out immediately to accept mysis, an hour after he was introduced. He is truly a beautiful fish.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on trying to reintroduce him to the the pvc home? I love this fish and would hate to lose him to an accidental cave in like one of your members here (Scotty?). A guy on nano-reef that uses the pvc home mentioned that his BSJF no longer digs or gathers rocks and is very content with the PVC home. On the other hand, I do enjoy watching him build his home. Tell me your thoughts on this and also talk to me about your experience with home reintroduction if possible? Was it successful or unsuccessful? Did he stay in the PVC or did he move back to the rocks?

Thanks in advance everyone. This is best forum I've seen for BSJF thus far!

SeaSkull

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
I vote for giving them a choice. Give him lots of different size building blocks.
Mine went on a hunger strike when he didn't have enough building material. They are always building and re-building and burrow hop now and then just to drive you crazy.
Enjoy and be sure to post pics in the Blue Spot thread.

jcgardner

I do not have a BSJF but have been researching alot because I want to eventrually get one. I say leave him be and let him find his own home. This is what they do in the wild and it is best to give them as natural of a home as one possibly can. Just my 2 cents though.