BRS Bio-pellets

rgfast

well I just started these this week and wonderring if anyone else has been using them. If so what progess have you seen and positive results have you had or had not

steved13

PREMIUM
I have been using vertex bio pellets for about 2 months and I am currently running a mix of 3 different brands. My nitrates dropped to 0 within a day.

Here is a thread with a great article about pellets and carbon dosing:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/front-page-news/64480-probiotics-demystified.html

I'm no expert but I've done quite a bit of reading on the pellets. If I can be of any help let me know.

I'll be very interested in your results. If possible..what are your beginning nitrate and phosphate readings?

rgfast

Thanks for the response Steved13 I plan on keeping updates on progress and will be able to giving some real test numbers this weekend orderred Hanna PO4 meter my API test just won't cut it. I have installed this on my frag system to test , don't like to exp. on DT but if this goes like I think it will be they next

steved13

PREMIUM
Great to hear, I'll be watching for your updates. You may find your nitrate has dropped considerably by this weekend. I wish you had the starting or "before" numbers. I use the hanna checker for PO4. I have read that the brs use a similar (if not the same) polymer as the vertex, when I started my nitrates dropped to 0 overnight, phosphates dropped over time but still not at 0. I believ my situation is because my phosphates were higher than nitrates to begin with. The bacteria need a balance of nitrate and phosphate along with the carbon, once you run out of 1 the other stalls.

Best of luck I'll be looking forward to the updates.

DanSReef

Hi Steve.

I have been using the Vertex pellets for a week or so now...in a phosban reactor with a rio pump. I started with a steady reading of Nitrates between 15-20... as tested by API test kit. My neighbor has been using them for a couple of weeks and started with Nitrates at about 10-15. His experience was that Nitrates went to zero almost immediately...in a day or so....going by the MFG instructions. I decided to go with a lower initial start to hopefully slow the nitrate drop and lessen any shock to the tank inhabitants. Both of us are using MB7 as a add to the pellets.

I just tested my water and I am at 0-5 ppm for Nitrates. I started with 1/4 the level as the instructions suggested. I dosed with MB7 to ge the culture going. After seven days, I added a couple more tablespoons of pellets and I dose a few drops of MB7 daily. I have a 72 gal bowfront with 20 gal or so of additional volume in my sump.

Also... I did attempt to do traditional Vodka Dosing and did not see any real improvements with it. I also got tired of the dosing regimine. I split the Vodka Dose to two times per day....to prevent...again shock to the inhabitants. This current reading of 0-5 ppm for Nitrates with this new system is the lowest I have been able to keep my nitrates at since I started the tank in April. I have seen no ill effects to any inhabitants.... all of my softies are vibrant... I do see a little more of a growth of a skim on my glass sides....but I think that was to be expected. I also am seeing robust output from my skimmer. Having a great skimmer is an absolute neccessity.

I am also feeding more... and the inhabitants really like that turn of events. If I were to scale back my feeding.... I would certainly be at zero.

I hope this is helpful.

Dan

steved13

PREMIUM
Dan, Sounds like another success. I use the Lamotte kit for nitrates which is clear when at 0. The API kit has a color for 0 so I wouldn't be surprised if you are at 0 and just getting a little fluctation in the color reading, anyway less than 5 is a success. You might want to check your phosphates also.

I add different bac sources also. I am currently adding MB7, but I have added ZEObak previously.

It makes no difference how much I feed, I haven't been able to read any nitrate since the day after starting the pellets 2 months ago. As I have said many times my phospahtes do fluctuate though, although not that far any more.