Brown Stuff On Rocks

Jerome

Fish_Tank_brown_stuff2_thumb.gif

I know my photo sucks it's the best my camrea could do but you can see the brown/yellowish stuff growing on it.

I have noticed this brownish yellow stuff on my rock. I don't have any coraline algae growing in some areas of my tank do to the 2 10k 150w MH which see to be to bright for it.. The coraline algae grows in all the area of the tank that doesn't get direct MH lighting. My best guess at the brown stuff was sponge.. I tried to scrap it then I found it to be hard like coraline aglae though I guess it could hard even if it is sponge. I am not sure though any guesses at what it could be...

Jerome

Someone PMed me that it was an aglae bloom and a thread related to that, but I don't think that the case. It's not a nusiance algae, unless there is an encrusting algae that will "bloom". I know just about every kind of algae by site so this is something else or somehting rare. I was thinking some sort of sponge, coral or a brown variety of coraline algae if there is such a thing. My tank is dialed in 0 phosphate, silicates, and nitrates. I have great SPS growth so to say it's an aglae bloom is a guess that I don't think is right.

Jerome

Fish_Tank_brown_stuff2002_thumb.gif

I dont know anyone with a better camera I tried to take a close up shot...

Sorry it's not much better..

jwaynet

Hi Jerome,
It's hard to tell from the photo, but it does show a likeness to encrusting porites.
Here's a photo of mine that came with my living rock.
It's a blown-up photo and it is really hard to spot the small polyps with the naked eye.

Cheers,

Jeff

jwaynet

OK - try again :spinner:

It's in my gallery if pic doesn't show

Jeff

Attachments

• porites.jpg
    porites.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 63

Jerome

I dont think it's that thanks for the imput though not many people have even taken a guess at it. I still think it's some form of encrusting ??? It looks kinda mud colored with some yellow, but it's hard and encrusted I can't scrap it off... I wonder if it's some type of brown coraline algae that's more able to handle the 10k XM MHs. I haven't been able to find any information about what it could be luckly so far it seem benign... I am guessig it's not coral because there are no polyps of any kind that I have been able to see...