brown jelly!!!

uclacsnerd

Some of you remember a while back I had some problems with my Anemone moving to the back of the tank.. well last weeked I decided I would use this as an excuse to redo all the aquascaping my tank (I wanted to do it anyways). I created a great spot with similar conditions for my Anemone and its healthier and happier than ever.. BUT!!!

While moving things around I bumped a couple hammer corals against the rocks and I think I must have damaged them. The next day my purple hammer was about 15% dead.. I did a lugol's dip right away and siphoned off all the dead tissue. So far so good. He seems fine now (except the hole in his side) :closed:

Well this morning my pink branching coral had a dead head!! This guy was one of my favorite pieces (6 full sized heads, 3 of which are currently splitting). The dead head was the other one I bumped during the move. It was heavily infected with jelly. I cut it off (and unfortunately its neighbor.. had no choice). I again siphoned off the dead tissue and performed a lugols dip. The remaining 4 heads are now fine, as is the dead ones attached buddy.

The rest of my euphyllia spp (all 6 of them :)) are doing very well in their new home. Do I have to worry bout them getting sick too??? None of them endured much stress during the move. What else can I do?

tommyp

I second that. I just lost half an awesome hammer because a hermit fell in it. Frogspawn are so vulnerable to impact injuries. if you isolate the heads and make sure that the brown jelly doesn't get stuck on any of your other corals you should be okay.

addict

Brown Jelly is rough... I've lost 1 frogspawn to it, and good portions of 2 hammer corals...
The protozoans that cause brown jelly are always in the tank, and normally are benign until the LPS is damaged (I find that euphyllia spp. are the most susceptible), then it's a race to remove the infected head before it spreads to the rest.

I find the best way to deal with it is to siphon off the dead tissue, then dip the affected coral in an iodine mix, and also 'paint' the affected area with straight iodine.

Glad to see that you've gotten it under control though... it acts fast, unfortunately. As long as the rest of the euphyllia weren't damaged during the move I wouldn't worry about them... I've never had brown jelly spread by 'casual' contact... :D

uclacsnerd

thanks guys

its extremely frustrating that trying to better my tank caused such havoc among some of my favorite pieces. i think in the long run the move will pay off big time. ill post another thread later this week with some pics of the new aquascaping. im relieved to hear that your experiences are in my favor as far keeping this under control... i hate it when u can catch something from "casual contact" :D