Brown jelly?????

Reefstick

Can anyone identify this stuff? This happend once before about three or four months ago. It starts out as a brown slimy stuff on one of the red sea xienia stalks and quickly spreds to the rest. The last time this happend it almost took all of the red sea I had, It left two stalks out of like 15 or so, and since then it has repopulated, but sure enough here comes the brown stuff again, the only way I stopped last time was for two days I would take out the rock and pull or cut off the effected xienia, and then dip the rock in SW and Iodine.:thumbup:
It is a ver fast killer, as it took most of the xienia the first time in a matter of 48 hours.

Anyone ever delt with this stuff, or am I special?:tears:

Here are some pics.
Brownjelly.JPG

Brownjelly2.JPG

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It certainly sounds and looks like brown jelly disease :( It is very contagious to other softie/LPS corals if it is. Dipping in iodine is a very good idea.

Make sure to inspect the rock for any snails that could be eating the xenia. Below is a pic of a murex snail feasting on a xenia polyp. After snapping the pic, I removed the snail. The xenia stalk shriveled and died :(

61murex_eating_xenia1.JPG

Reefstick

Woodstock,

I think you maybe on to something here, I had purchaced a few Nassarius Snail from a LFS. they look like this (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1906&articleid=3290)
After a few month I thought they had babies, so I took them out of the refugium and put the babies in the main tank, four total.....but now that I am looking at the murex snail I think that is what I just introduced to the tank.
Now that I think about it there was two of those little guys on the rock that had the decay.:bouncebox
I guess the next corse of action I should take is to take the little guys out as I see them. Thank you very much for your help.
I learn more and more everyday in this hobby.:thumbup:

Mark

Reefstick

Woodstock said:
Make sure to inspect the rock for any snails that could be eating the xenia. Below is a pic of a murex snail feasting on a xenia polyp. After snapping the pic, I removed the snail. The xenia stalk shriveled and died :(

61murex_eating_xenia1.JPG

Well I actually got a picture of one last night and didn't even know.
Tell if you think this is the Murex snail.
The_evil_snail.JPG

Woodstock

RS STAFF
It is difficult to say from the photo. Look closely at the snail's shell. In my pic you will see that the murex shell's edge is serrated. Look closely at your snails for that. I will post a few more pics of the murex snail to help you identify one.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
You will have to remove the snail and look at the underside. These pics should help you recognize a murex...

Attachments

• small - murex.JPG
    small - murex.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 22
  • small - murex underside.JPG
    small - murex underside.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 22
  • small-murex3.JPG
    small-murex3.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 22