brown algea on the crushed corral???

hi everyone
new to the hobby and am having brown algea starting on the crushed coral bottom, it has gotten progresivly worse over the past few days did a 15 percent water change yesterday, is this normal, and what if anything should be done thnks

CMG

Sounds like a diatom bloom. I am having one now too because I also have a new tank. It happens to all new tanks apparently. Are you using tap water or ro/di water?

In my readings I have found that it thrives on silica which is found in tap water, so it would help not to use tap water. It can be eaten by snails (I have 5 nerite snails working on mine right now). Do a search on the forum for diatoms.

Can you post pics?

reefman420

sounds like diatoms,me and a buddy actually did a test on cc,we ground it up and mixed it in rodi,let it sit overnight and tested the water...man was it full of silicate and phosphates

When we do a top up or a water change we use tap water that has been treated with the dechlorinator. We used the same stuff when we first started the tank and havn't any real problems until this. We set the tank up over a month, had a cycle and havn't had any problems with our wet friends. We went through the traditional blooms on the LR but never had the bottom, now seems like we are getting more every day. We have a hermit and 4 snails (turbo???) but the snails never come off the rocks unless they are on the glass. Do we just let it run its course? Will it go away?

CMG

I couldnt tell you because I am currently in one too, but what I have read is to let it run its course, its just part of having a new system. You can vacum the top of your substrate during water changes. I do this too.

"me and a buddy actually did a test on cc,we ground it up and mixed it in rodi,let it sit overnight and tested the water...man was it full of silicate and phosphates" - What is cc? Crushed Coral? Are you saying the ro/di had silicate or that the cc gave the water silicate?

You can vacum the top of your substrate during water changes.

That is what my husband did yesterday but it seemed to get worse overnight and through the day today. I'll let it run for a week provided my readings are staying the same and there is no trouble there. My tank was so pretty without it... still it isn't as bad as some that I've seen. I guess I should be happy about that.
Thanks

framerguy

First of all, if I didn't say it before...Welcome to RS! If you are using tap water the ONLY way it will work is if you mix it and let it sit for a week..minimum! That means aerated, heated, and dark. Never use fresh tap water even after declorinating, it's just a bad idea. Get an RODI as soon as you can, you will start seeing results immediately. The other alternative is to use distilled water from a grocery store. Using tapwater, it will be difficult to get the diatoms to go away, and they may never go away. Minimize the nutrients introduced through exceesive feeding, poor makeup water, and additives (if any) and you will see improvements.

lcstorc

Is it like a dusting? Then it is likely diatoms. If it is more red and slimey then it is cyano. Both are being fueled by the tap water.

reefman420

yep the tap water is the culprit,and no the crushed coral released phosphates and silica...my rodi comes out 0.

First of all I have to ask what is a RODI?
Yes Lynn, it is like a dusting. It is starting on the bottom section of the glass to. I will see what it is like in the morning and try to take a picture of it if it gets worse.
I was under the impression that it was safe to use tap water as long as you primed the water properly. We've been using "Prime" by seachem??? Not good?

framerguy

RODI= Reverse Osmosis/ DeIonized water. It's a device in the $150-200 range that will produce the pristine water that is a must for reef aquariums. You CAN use tap water but it really MUST be primed as stated above. Get a large Brute trashcan (or similar container)and fill it with tap water. Put a circulation pump in there to agitate and mix the water. An airstone is not necessary, it will put to much CO2 in the mix. Put a heater in there and set it to match your tank water. Add salt mix in the appropriate amount. Cover the can but leave some ventilation (the electrical wires between the lid and can should be enough) and let it simmer for one week. Then the water can be used without as many quality issues. It won't be perfect but will work til you get your unit. Once you give in and get an RODI unit you will be taking your reefing hobby to the next level. Water quality can't be over emphasized.

framerguy

I was under the impression that it was safe to use tap water as long as you primed the water properly. We've been using "Prime" by seachem??? Not good?
That only works for fish only and freshwater tanks and even then it's better to use RODI.

Thanks for the info Greg,
I will definately look into the RODI.
I know that space will be an issue for the water tank cause I have 2 young kiddies that may like to play in it if it is found...
I guess I've been lucky up until now with the brown algea, I was waiting for it to bloom about 3 weeks ago. I do have 2 large buckets that we use for the water changes, I will see if I can get another one and use that to store some water.
Scary, I guess it is off to the next level... :D

Thanks Dennis, water clarity really hasn't been an issue and still isn't really. We have had several people who have aquariums comment on how they havn't seen a new tank with water as clear as what we have. You would almost think that there was no water in there.
The pics. I have posted will show and it hasn't changed, only gotten better.
I'm going to go to the FS tomorrow and start investigating RODI, any particular brand and/or power that I should be looking for?

framerguy

Aqua FX
These guys are sponsors here. Just call them, tell them what you have, and what you want and they will set up a system for you. At least check the site.

CMG

I got my rodi on ebay, its in the mail. I was a little hesitant at first to buy it on there but others on here have and said they really like theirs. My fish store doesnt sell them and if they did it ouwld probably be 2 or 3 times more and as much as I like to support them I am a college student so I cant always do that.

Also, do you have a protein skimmer? I blow on my rocks with a turkey baster and then my protein skimmer sucks it up and gets rid of it too. that plus my snails. But they cant win right now with me using tap water. I did fine with tap water in my FW tank but salt water is deff. a no go. hehe. Good luck.

naperenterprise

I had the same probelms and through the help of the folks here at RS, I got a RODI filter from The Filter Guys (website).

I haven't had the problem since.

I set up a TDS meter today the water comming out of the faucet had 280ppm after the RODI it was 001 ppm.

Its a MUST have in my opinion!

Welcome to RS!!

Yes, we do have a protein skimmer. That has done wonders for us.
My husband went to the LFS today and as we didn't have alot they suggested to try a starfish to help sift the CC. So far he has been doing a great job. Also I'm going to reduce the time the lights are on for the next couple of days.
Thanks, will keep you posted.

CMG

Yes, we do have a protein skimmer. That has done wonders for us.
My husband went to the LFS today and as we didn't have alot they suggested to try a starfish to help sift the CC. So far he has been doing a great job. Also I'm going to reduce the time the lights are on for the next couple of days.
Thanks, will keep you posted.

Newbie, I read somewhere online that less lighting wont matter since diatoms dont need a lot of light to thrive. I have no idea if this is true but if it makes you feel better then I dont see why not...
I was also thinking about getting some more sand sifting creatures. i only have one sand sifting snail and I havent seen it since the day i bought it so it probably is dead in there somewhere???