Brown Algea is back from the Phosphates!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Have you tested your ro/di water for phosphates? Do not assume it is pure. Old filters will not clean the water.

For example: I KNOW my resin in my ro/di needs replacing but I just have not taken the time to order new filters. My output of my ro/di is yeilding a po4 level of around 0.1 ppm. To compensate for this, I simply keep a bag of phosban in my brute mixing container to abosorb the po4 (I always mix my newly made saltwater atleast a day) It works wonderfully! No detectable phosphates :) This of course is only a temporary remedy and I will order filters soon. :rolleyes:

no i haven't tested it lately b/c i dont have any...i was going to go to the LFS and get 20 gals of it today or tomorrow but i think i'm going to see if i can order a RO/DI unit for myself!

BoomerD

Some people like the inexpensive RO/DI units on e-bay. IIRC, filterdirect ion a good one, and probably some of the others as well. BE CAREFUL, not all sellers are reputable.
Personally, I like Spectrapure. BEST in the biz, hands down. Also, perhaps the highest price, but...
I also have an AquaticReefSystem Oceanus 100 GPD unit, that is well made, and has consistently provided me with 0 tds water, as long as I remember to change the filters and resins when needed.

what type of RO/DI unit could i get for about 200 dollars? i guess im looking for something that could do 85gpd but doesn't that mean that its something around 55 gpd...

what could i get in these ranges?

and tell me some to stay away from if any...

Thanks

Witfull

when it comes to salts and slat threads,,,,go with what works for you,,,as for me,,,this can of worms can remain unopened!!

Witfull

want to come and see it in my laundry room,,i have their 75gpd unit.

19ro-unit.jpg

CHOICE OF FAUCET HOSE OR GARDEN HOSE ADAPTOR OR IN-LINE "T" CONNECTOR--- $5.00 EXTRA is this asking me what im going to hook it up to...were the water is coming from?

RANDY

Check With Your Lfs Or The Source Of Your Ro/di Water. The Best Way To Know If There Are Silicates Or Phosphates In Your Top Up Or Water Change Source Is To Take A "total Dissolved Solids" Or Tds Meter Reading. This Will Detemine Whether Or Not The Membrane Needs To Be Replaced. Your Lfs Should Have One Handy.
Good Luck And Please Post Progress Or New Info. Good Luck!

russell

Is it brown algea or redish???? if it's redish this is slime algea and is usualy down to overfeeding, try cutting down food. frozen cubes are the worst causes of this. try dry flake for a while. also Antifos Fe works a treat and dosn't leech back into the water

BoomerD

Dilution is the Solution to Pollution...

Regular and frequent water changes with GOOD quallity water.

ok! well im going to convince my parents tonight to get an RO/DI unti...hopefully we'll order it tonight! i was wondering...i'm not sure were im going to hook up this ro/di unit though...i create all of my water in the basement by the bilco doors...there is nothing down there for water and the closet things are either outside next to the bilco doors or on the 1st floor in a sink...how can i set this up and still have the water go into a bucket in the basement?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
ironman361 said:
my answer to you is a PhosBan Reactor 150 bought it use it,love it.and its cheap too

True! The phosban reactors are nice... I wish I had room to add one...