Brooklynella???

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Last night I noticed my male clownfish breathing very rapidly. :( After a few photos of him, I began to guess what was wrong (only a guess without a microscope) and came to the conclusion that he might have brooklynella parasite. Where on earth did it come from????? Gezzzz...

I decided to wait it out over night and inspect him this morning.

My concious woke me at 4:15 am and by 5:00 am the little clown was in a formalin dip. :guns: He looked horrible! His color was faded and he was breathing very, very fast... Strangley enough the other clown looks perfect... go figure.

Here is is last night. He looked much worse than this by 4 am...
20080111sickclownfish004.jpg

He looked much better after a 45 minute bath in formalin dip (1 tsp of 37% formalin in one gallon of water with an airstone).

When I had all of the fish in the QT for 8 weeks (just a few weeks ago), I never treated for brooklynella disease. I only used copper and parizaquantel (not formalin).

Questions:
1- does it look like brooklynella?
2- is brooklynella highly contagious? Can I expect my other fish to succumb to it eventually?
3- will a daily formalin dip cure the sick clown?
4- should I just bite the bullet and remove all fish to the hospital tank and begin treating with formalin?

framerguy

Geez Doni Marie, it never ends and I am so sorry! This question is above my pay grade and will let others answer, but wanted to offer moral support.

boozeman

Doni, If I'm not mistaken, the link you posted belongs to RS member charles1958...give him a pm and hopefully he will chime in on this.

kathywithbirds

Doni, I'm so sorry! After some consideration and consultation with other people, I think that's what got my guys. I lost 3 clowns in a week. Hope yours get better... it seems treatable.

lcstorc

Will it never end? I feel horrible for you and your fishies. I wish I could help but all I can do is offer support since this is way over my head as well.
Hope the clown gets better and noboby else gets sick.
You are the world's best fish mommy. You really go the extra mile to take care of your babies.

BigReepher

It does appear to be brook, it is highly contagious amongst clownfish. Formalin has been known to work and I've used it successfully. I would probably try to catch any other clowns and give them a dip. Check water parameters and make any changes slowly. The formalin dip should be done as carefully as possible to keep stress to a minimum. Keep in mind that the formalin will reduce oxygen levels as will higher water temps so don't use a dip with a temp over 79. Good luck!

panmanmatt

If using Formalin, you should always aerate the heck out of the water no matter what temperature it is at. Formalin depletes O2 in the water.

Doot77

Sorry to hear about this Doni. You're 8 week quarantine you just finished is what pushed me towards doing the same. Hopefully all turns out good for you and your fish.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about this Doni. You're 8 week quarantine you just finished is what pushed me towards doing the same. Hopefully all turns out good for you and your fish.

Good for you. Looks like I may be repeating another 8 week QT with them but will add on another 2 weeks I think... I wish I would have treated them with formalin the first time around.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I went home at lunch and he (and all the other fish) are doing okay. All eating like piglets. But the ahcilles looks like he has more white spots on him ...

lcstorc

Very glad to hear the clown is looking better. Sounds like maybe you got it in time. Very odd how quickly it hit though. I know you and your fish and I am sure it wasn't like that very long at all before you noticed.
Sorry to hear Dr Pepper has more spots. As long as he is still a piggy I guess you shouldn't worry too much.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
This story had a very happy ending. They completely recovered and began spawning a few months after they came out of the hospital tank :D
I did formalin dips on him and the female and placed in QT. Let the main display go fallow for 10 weeks I think... Check out the ICH link in my signature for specifics.

If I would not have treated him properly (thanks Leebca), I would not have picassos & snowcassos for sale right now ;) He is the daddy to them all :D

rmlevasseur

Doni- do you think there was any chance that those were bad stings, like it almost got eaten by an anemone? I got some clowns from LA that came with brook, and they didn't have dark patches like that. I have seen clowns that hosted in stingy corals that kinda looked like that. Just a thought. So awesome this guy recovered and made so many people happy :)