Broken Endcap...still usable?

Tru2nr

Ok, so i discovered when i was building my new light fixture that one of my t-5 end caps was broken slight...it still holds the bulb in just fine but the plastic piece that separates the pins was missing...my question is will this cause possible arcing issues between the pins and blow out the bulb/cause fire....here is a pic...really don't want to replace this but will if i absolutely have to...heres a pic of the endcap

DSCF9747.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I was always under the impression that the little piece that is missing is really just their to make inserting the bulb easier.

I've used fixtures with no worries in the same condition.

Just flip the switch while wearing rubber gloves.:) lol

BLADEYAMAHA

:smoking:
I was always under the impression that the little piece that is missing is really just their to make inserting the bulb easier.

I've used fixtures with no worries in the same condition.

Just flip the switch while wearing rubber gloves.:) lol

+1:smoking:

DaveK

I'm of the other opinion. Replace the damaged part, especially if the fixture is directly over the tank, with nothing inbetween it and the water. Electricity and SW don't mix. Such a part isn't very expensive, and you'll get peace of mind.

Yes, what the others say is true, that plastic part is more or less cosmetic. However, something else may be broken inside the end cap.

Tru2nr

yeah i was at the LFS and he had a used end cap that he just gave me so it'll be replaced. lol