brittle stars and seahorses

Splendid

We just got a couple of baby black seahorses in a 12 gallon nano cube and we also got a rock for them to put there tails around. I don't know how but when we got home i put the rock in and alot of tiny white brittle stars came out of it. I do not know how they survived the car ride without water but oh well. So i was wondering if small brittle stars got along with baby seahorses. If you know or u think you know please tell me because i really don't want the seahorses to die or get hurt by the brittle stars! Please Help asap

Thanks lula:)

aquaman3680

those are fine. They won't get much bigger than the size of a dime with legs. They come on liverock and you should find alot more stuff on it too.

What kind of seahorses, species name?

Splendid

I am not exactly sure. all i can remember is they are baby black seahorses! They actualy came on a dead piece of coral:alien: .

Gina

RS STAFF
Splendid said:
we also got a rock for them to put theretailsaround.Thanks lula:)

Was this rock that has been totally cured or rock they were curing at their store?

lcstorc

I have many micro starfish in my seahorse tank as well as bristle worms. I have never had a problem with them and my ponies. I think I have so many because of the high feeding requirements of the seahorses.
I guess the biggest question would be how big are the "baby" seahorses. If they are small fry then there could be an issue. I know I have seen my micro starfish grab mysis shrimp and eat it so if the seahorses are that small then there could be an issue. Any larger pony should have no problem at all.

Gina

RS STAFF
Splendid said:
i do not think the rock was cured!

Keep an eye on your parameters as adding uncured LR and the 2 seahorses could cause a mini cycle in your nano. I read on another post that you plan on adding 3 more on thursday? I would wait a few weeks before I would add any more and make sure these 2 are doing well first. Also, take into account how big these seahorses will get when mature.

lcstorc

5 seahorses in a 12g? That seems like a lot IMO. I woud definitely stick with the 2 for a while and see how it goes. I absolutely adore my seahorses, but they are definitely not easy and I have my 24g sharing water w/my 125. Not sure what kind of ponies you have but the adult size can be over 12in for some some (including the Kudas I have.) Keep in mind the adult size of yours when deciding how many will fit in your tank.
JMO
Good luck and post some pics for us please. :)

Gina

RS STAFF
Here is an article that you should probably read. It comes from seahorse.org.
It may help you out regarding some valuable info in caring for seahorses.
Whether or not your 12g nano is big enough to support these ponies will depend on the overall height of the inside of your tank not the outside.
A 12g may be ok for several ponies while they are small but, as they mature I don't think a 12g is big enough to keep them happy and healthy.
I wouldn't add any more than the two you have at this time.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/SeahorseFactsAndInfo.shtml

lcstorc

I agree with Gina.
Another thing to keep in mind is that to raise seahorses you are almost required to overfeed. They eat very slowly so there is lots of food that just makes it to the ground regardless. I have mine plumbed into my main system so that helps a lot, but I do weekly water changes and always vacuum the sand in the pony tank as well as blow off the rocks and clean the sponges when I do them. I also have a good number of snails, and a cleaner shrimp who help, and then about a million micro stars that have just appeard, all of these help.