Bristle worms invade my pipe organ coral!

Shagon

And my hermit crabs are tearing it apart trying to get to the worm. I set out a trap tonight to catch as many as I can. I hope I can curb this trend my colony was doing so well. Any other ideas to stop this destruction?

brandon

wait an hour or two after your lights go out get some tweasers and a low light flash light and remove them manually.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
And my hermit crabs are tearing it apart trying to get to the worm. I set out a trap tonight to catch as many as I can. I hope I can curb this trend my colony was doing so well. Any other ideas to stop this destruction?

I've been there! I had no luck with the tweezer route so I had to freshwater dip mine. Shook the coral in the water for a few minutes and i've been good since. Course it did take the coral about a week after to fully open again.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
pipe organs do collect detritus like crazy and should be blown off weekly, the worms are just doing their job and the crabs are just doing crabby things

Shagon

Well I cought about 30 worms last night. I can't dip this rock. Well I could. But one of my nems is attached to the same rock. Along with other corals. So I'll just keep trapping them. I might go get a CBS today. I always liked them.

DesertOrchid

I used a snail trap with the tablets( seramin I think) inside.They came with the trap and bristle worms love them! The trap kinda looks like a small clear box with slots in the ends. Got it from FosterSmithaquaria online. Left it near the coral and then when many were inside for a free lunch........WHAM.........out they came and down the garbage disposal. Also used a long forceps to get a few headed for their meal. LOL! I know they have a purpose but I hate them things!! You won't get them all out of the pipe organ coral but any is better than none....right?!

DavidM

Wow, that's a lot of worms. Have you considered introducing something to eat them? (I've never tried this, mind you, but I've heard it works.) Wrasse, hawkfish, sunshine basslet, and arrow crabs are all supposed to eat the things. Some people say they tend to eat the smaller ones and leave the bigger ones intact. I've also heard that a few worms can be good for a reef.