Bristle Worm Infestation Help

newtoreefs

Just purchased a 125 gal used tank, and it was seriously infested with the worms. When we broke the tank down we filled a 2.5 gallon bucket full of them from the overflow compartments on either side. I have since set the tank up and hundreds more have hitch hiked in the rock and live sand. How do I remove such a large infestation while my tank is cycling? I plan to set traps, and buy arrow crabs and coral banded shrimp as well. Any other ideas are more than appreciative. Thank you

While bristle worms are part of the "clean up crew" big ones can become big problems, as I type this I am waiting for my biggest bristle to come out and grab him. Sence they are so hard to catch and really dont have any tips. Arrow crabs can become problems too, eating coral and fish so thats not the best choice.. inless you are willing to remove all of them once they bristles are gone.

corrado007

As stated above, numbers will decline once their food source is gone. A cleaner tank is going to get them in check. If it fits with your other tank inhabitants, an orchid dottyback will also eat bristle worms. They are the nicest of the dottybacks and are quite beautiful.

newtoreefs

Thank you all for the help. Being new to reeling, I wasn't sure what to do, but after manually removing the dead ones with tweezers and scooping with a net, I don't seem to have any live ones remaining while my tank is cycling, as far as I can see with my flashlight at night. Again, thank you for all of the suggestions and courtesy!

DesertOrchid

Drop some pellet food in there and see if the worms come out for a bite. Then nab them with a tweezers or forceps. This is what I do when ever I do work on my tank. The numbers are declining....finally! They haven't bothered anything except me... getting stung from them is no fun! Take care!

dizzyg

A six line wrasse eats them and is a very pretty fish. I don't think you will ever be 100% rid of them but a small population of them is actually a good part of your general clean up crew!.