Brine Shrimp

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
they can't really deal with much flow so you may lose them over time. I've heard of people throwing eggs in a refugium covered by rocks and they had a little colony form........it cant hurt and I would probably go with eggs vs live ones.

My refugium has a semi low flow but I might try and go with both. Seeing if I can get another food source to grow.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just bought 3 oz and a breeder from florida aqua farms.......going to give it a try from a few different angles to see if i can get something to work, would love to feed my wrasses more often.

DaveK

they can't really deal with much flow so you may lose them over time. I've heard of people throwing eggs in a refugium covered by rocks and they had a little colony form........it cant hurt and I would probably go with eggs vs live ones.

Putting brine shrimp eggs into your system, even in a refugium, is not a good idea. Those egg cases get all over the place in the system and are very unsightly. It's really best to hatch brine shrimp in another container, and then add the hatched shrimp to the tank.

DaveK

I just bought 3 oz and a breeder from florida aqua farms.......going to give it a try from a few different angles to see if i can get something to work, would love to feed my wrasses more often.

Such a device will work just fine, but if you can't bring yourself to spend $35 to hatch brine shrimp, there are much less expensive alternatives. Here is one way.

Get a 1 gal glass jar, or similar container. A round one is bes, but any one will do.
Also get a small air pump, a length of air line tubing and an small airstone.
You'll also need brine shrimp eggs and salt. Use cheep aquarium salt for this, not expensive salt for making SW.

Set up the jar so that it's elevated about3/4" on one side. Some people build a special rack. I just use a paperback book or small board.

Set up the air pump above the jar and connect it to the airstone which goes in the jar. Connect the air pump to power.

Add 2 quarts of dechlorinated water, or RO water to the jar.
Add 2 tablespoons of salt and let it dissolve. Use the dip and scrape level, like the show you on the cooking shows.
Add up to 2 teaspoons of brine shrimp eggs.

Wait 1 day if the water is about 80 or higher, or wait two days if at room temp, about 72 or so.

Turn off the air pump, and wait for things to settle out. You'll get a layer of brown egg shells ar the bottom, a layer of orange brine shrimp above them, more or less clear water, and floating on the top, more brown egg shells. If the shrimp don't separate out too well you can add a quart of dechlorinated water, or RO water, to change the SG and help the shrimp to settle out.

Use a length of airline tubing to siphon out the brine shrimp. Use a shrimp net or cloth handkerchief to catch the brine shrimp.

Feed them to your live stock, or put them in you grow out container.

landshark

I have tried to raise brine shrimp in a grow out tank, but after a day or so they all die. How do you get them to live more than a few days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Growing brine shrimp is a full time job between the correct filtration, correct food and size and managing the culture density, most people fail so don't worry. I'm only doing mine as a test, and only hatching babies to feed. Maybe I'll try to raise some of my clownfish one day :)

Mischko

Get a bucket, say 10 litres with a lid. An empty salt bucket will do perfectly.
Now, prepare the water as needed by the shrimps and add a like a good one or two handfull earth from your yard.
Add the brine shrimp eggs.
Now get a can like the ones reef cement is sold in. At the bottom, say 2 finger high, drill a line of holes all around.
Now cut a hole out in the lid so the can will fit into it. Now keep the water level in the bucket like 2 finger high above the line of holes.
When you need shrimps, put a light over the hole in the lid for a time and fish out the brine shrimps.
Over the time you get all sizes of shrimps to your need. For fish, for corals and so on.
By this, no need to filter out egg shells or other stuff. Pure brine shrimps in the can. Easy to keep outside in the yrd or on the balcony.
Well, direct sun light and frost should be avoided, of course ;-)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This all sounds to complicated to me...I think I'll just stick with trying to grow live white worms to feed my fish.
Eventually I might get good at it. The worms don't seem to require near as much effort to keep alive.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
But I really do like ideas for growing live food for our fish. :yummy:
I wish there were lots more live options.
I know my all fish go WILD when they get to eat wiggling worms.

Akshay

Brine shrimp are the easiest to grow.. have em growing in the 500ml coke bottles for the clown babies.

Putting live ones in the fuge isnt gonna help, even if flow is low.
Problem is they tend to congregate towards light, so will eventually go to the top and will be skimmed away.

This is what I do:
A couple of bottles with aerator tubes in them.
Use tank water, with about 1/3rd live phyto.
About 1/2 teaspoon eggs.
They hatch in a lil less then 24hrs.
They grow to adult size in about 3-4 weeks, and will carry eggs then....but I dont wait that long.
Fresh hatch is used for 2-4 days of feeding the babies and then the rest of the brine are dumped in the tank for feeding.
Keep alternating bottles, so hae fresh brine and phyto always.

Mr.Reeefer

To remove shells, turn off air pump and allow to settle, bottom will have brine shrimp, middle will be clear water, top will be shells.