Bright Yellow Sebae Anemone

DJLiquid

I purchased a bright yellow sebae anemone from my LFS last week for my custom 72 watt 14 gallon bio cube. I was a bit dissapointed to find out after the fact that these anemones are dyed and was concerned with it's survival. Well a few days after introducing it to the two black percula in my tank one of them is now hosting it. It has also has eaten the peeled shrimp I have fed it twice. The question I have is will it survive now since the clown has taken to it and it is eating?

Rhodes19

I am no expert on anemones but I think the BC 14 may be way to small for anemones. I've read 30 g minimum. They need excellet water conditions and a lot of good light. As for the clowns, you don't need clownfish to keep an anemone. They are nice to have but not required. HTH

cbrownfish

Honestly, it is hard to answer your question without a crystal ball. :) While I am only intending to be comical with the previous comment, I can tell you that an anemone that eating, with a good light source, has a reasonable chance at survival. A dyed specimen is at a disadvantage and you may consider reaching out to Bob Fenner at Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information to ask his opinion as to whether you should even keep a dyed specimen. As stated above, a small water volume leaves you with an uphill climb when trying to keep an anemone. Maintain good water quality, consistent salinity, minimal temp fluctuation and you give this animal the best chance.

BTW FWIW: Anemone = Host, Clown = Resident (Freeloader:)). The anemone is hosting the clown......the clown is residing in the anemone.

lkc

Dyed nems can recover if given lots of tlc. Your lights - you may need to upgrade them to at least 150 MH. Also, if/when this guy does recover, he will grow out of that tank. IME, I had a very healthy Heteractis Crispa in my 12 Nano with a 150MH pendant - And that's ALL I had. He grew right out of the tank in less than two months. I've got him in a custom 65G long now and he takes up a quarter of the tank.
ps...you don't need to ask Bob, he won't answer your question because its all there... just look it up on the nem pages on Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information. He appreciates people do their research before asking the same questions over and over again.
Good luck.

Last edited:

wm23oh

Re: Bright Yellow Sabea Anemone

Some may disagree with me on this and will tell you to only feed it silversides dipped in garlic and that may be the best way to get your anem back to being healthy but for my situation, an almost neon white Sabea anem, I gave it PC lighting which is not supposed to be enough light and feeder guppies (one every other day now 2 times per week). Guppies are a brackish water fish that can live in freshwater and I found that this works best in my tank.

My tank has been going for 6 months now and YES I SCREWED UP and got the Anem BEFORE my tank was ready as stated in my chronicle but so far my anem is doing decent not great by any means. It does need better lighting IMO but until I get the money saved up for that it's doing OK for now. I will be adding photos of my Anem tomorrow.

James