Breeding Clown fish

Quantrill

Well, since my two clowns have apparently paired up, I'm setting up a separate tank for them. I figure it will be better for all involved. The other fish won't be stressed from the clowns being so territorial and the clowns will have a less stressful environment in which to spawn. That being said, I have a few questions about setting up the new tank. I always used sponge filters on my breeding tanks when I raised freshwater angels. Will that work for salt water as well? With a sponge filter, I don't have to worry about the fry getting sucked into a pump or HOB power filter. I always let the parents raise the angelfish fry rather than pull the eggs, so that's what I'm planning to do with the clowns. Any other advice would be appreciated. Right now I've got a 20T tank set up with a HOB filter. I'm going to pick up some substrate this afternoon. I've also got the sponge from the HOB filter seeding in the sump that's on my DT. I'll probably rob a piece of live rock from my DT for the breeding tank and put a terra cotta flower pot or one of the old spawning slates I had for my angels in there for them to spawn on.

Thanks
David

goldenmean

Just a thought but the stress of moving and a brand new tank could stop or delay their spawning activities. I dont know if this is so but it is what popped in my mind when I read your question.

Best of luck tho!

Quantrill

Yeah I had thought about that. When I had my angels, they would quit spawning for maybe a month and then get right back down to business! I hope the clowns recover as quickly. I really didn't see much of a choice for now. It was move them to the sump or move the jawfish out. They already ate his tailfin off. They had him cornered and he was not doing well! Anyway, been wanting to get the clowns their own space for a while.