BREAKING NEWS: EcoTech Marine and AquaIllumination have merged!

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Wow that's interesting. D&D market Ai products over here, so I wonder if they will now market ecotech to. This will inevitably lead to price fixing I'm sure.

reefer gladness

I wouldn't get too excited. Neither of these manufacturers were using any technology that I would consider proprietary or unique.

Like most LED manufacturers these units use off-the-shelf LED's that any of us can buy and the rest of the components are readily available too. It's not like they're gaining control of the LED market with this acquisition.

DaveK

We are kind of lucky here in that both companies are good companies, so we shouldn't be hurt that way. However, there is some overlap in the product lines, especially lighting. In time, what will happen is that the product lines will be merged, and some duplicate products will get dropped. You'll also see some consolidation of departments. You don't need 2 of everything, so a lot of them will get merged or they will keep just one.

Overall, we should be fine. The one area I'd be a little worried about is parts for older items. They might be hard to get.

plasma327

FAQ from Ecotech's webite:

FAQs

Is either brand being dissolved?
No, both brands will remain independent. This exciting merger is designed to capitalize on the operational and infrastructure advantages that result from the merger of two US based manufacturers. Product lines and branding will remain separate and occur at the separate Iowa and Pennsylvania facilities.

Will EcoTech products be sold under the AI brand or vice versa?
No, the brands and products will remain independent.

Will I still be able to buy EcoTech and AI products from my favorite store?
Yes, there will be no changes to retail availability. AI products will remain distributed by AI and EcoTech products will be distributed by EcoTech.

Will there be any changes to EcoTech or AI prices?
No. Prices will not be impacted.

Who do I contact for customer support?
EcoTech and AI customer support channels will remain exactly as they are currently. There will be no change to the support numbers, emails, or location.

Are there any changes to my warranty?
Warranty support, warranty conditions and product support will remain unchanged.

Are any products being discontinued?
No products are being discontinued.

Will EcoTech and AI products and technology be compatible in the future?
Currently there are no plans to make the two brands compatible.

Well, generally when companies that produce competing goods or services merge, it's good for two groups: the owners of the company getting bought, out as they get to cash in their chips, and the people who own the company that does the purchasing because they drastically increase their market capitalization and take out the competition.

Rarely is it good for the consumer. Competition within a market space like this encourages innovation. Half the products AI has brought out in the past two years have been attempts to one up Ecotech both on features and price, and I think we've all been better off for having more high quality options to choose from.

There's probably still enough companies in the aquarium lighting space for competition to remain a driving force for development, but there aren't really a lot of alternative choices to a light at the level of the radion if that's what you wanted for your tank. If you were looking at a radion, you almost certainly were also looking at AI's lower priced but comparable fixtures. Whether or not you'll continue to have that option is a question mark, but what you'll certainly never have now is an opportunity to buy a future AI product that is demonstrably superior in performance to a radion, while also being less expensive.

Tru2nr

Wow interesting move...to say they are not going to centralize anything I call shenanigans unless the owners are more aquarium focused than business savvy; unless they follow the automakers model where they have their more budget friendly brand and their high end brand. However this merger will allow them to increase their negotiating powers on the electronics side of things which could result in future innovations not being as expensive as they would be without that buying power.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

DaveK

It's not that so much. It's that when two companies merge, they are going to say all the "right things" that are "politically correct". In other words, they will say the resulting company will be better for all, everything is going to be fine, all products will be continued no matter what their actual plans are.

I think in this case, we'll be OK. Now if they were being swallowed up by one of the giants in the pet trade, they we'd likely be in trouble.