Brandon's Mantis Tank Build

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well I finally decided to set up a mantis tank. All it took was a good deal off Craigslist.

gymapebu.jpg

40B with stand for $50. It's easy to find the tanks but the stands aren't easy to find on a deal.

Still deciding how I'm going to build it. I wish I had room next to my reef so i can use it's sump, but there's just no room :(

usabu5u8.jpg

So please, I'm open ears for all of you experienced mantis owners!

"No rain, no rainbow"

bmplank86

So here's my first thought. After so much research I've been doing the past few months, I don't believe I need intense filtration for the shrimp. Here is my plan so far:

Aquaclear HOB filter with the sponge pad, a poly pad, and a bag of ChemiPure Elite. Should I ditch the sponge and use a bag of carbon, or is the CPE enough?

Titanium heater so it can't smash the heating indicator light.

Spare Koralia PHs

Thoughts?

"No rain, no rainbow"

Last edited:

Built347

You wont need strong mech filtration.. you will need very strong biological filtration.. stomatopods will bury food and store it in there cave.when you feed a silverside or krill youll see floating pieces all over. thats a recipe for some pretty nasty water.. I think you will find that this tank will require excessive w/c to keep things top notch.. either that or some kind of sump with extra rock/cuc filtration. The extra volume wouldnt hurt either. is the mantis the only thing your planning on in this tank?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

bmplank86

Yep just the mantis. I'm going to lay down 40lbs of sand and 40lbs of cycled rock, then add more if necessary.

"No rain, no rainbow"

Built347

That'll work.. just keep an eye on the water.

redneckgearhead

Extra water volume increases stability. A place to put cheato, extra lr. You need an algae scrubber or your going to be changing so much water just to keep the trates at exception levels

dmatt88

Extra water volume increases stability. A place to put cheato, extra lr. You need an algae scrubber or your going to be changing so much water just to keep the trates at exception levels

Ding ding ding! Water volume. Kinda like the function of local septic treatment plants dilution. These guys r messy animals. They will hide what u fed them in the cave n it just sits there rotting. Little water volume screams crash.

..........rarely am I speechless

Built347

It's gonna be a pain to tear down, slide over, setup

"No rain, no rainbow"

You will be so happy you did. Shared water means more stability and 1 waterchange... aaahh I love one system..:)

Built347

N I just looked back.. your on carpet! 10$ plastic pads called carpet sliders.. wedge em under the stand and it will slide all over your house like its on wheels.. only have to let out an inch of water so it doesnt splash out

bmplank86

So how do I put them under the tank when it's full so i can slide it lol

"No rain, no rainbow"

Built347

U and a friend hoss up one side a half inch while u either kick em under or have someone else slide em in.. the rinse and repeat on the other side..