brand new tank, skimmer going crazy.

paulyray

So I just filled my 120 (rodi) and dialed the salt and temp levels in. I fired up my skimmer (reef octopus nwb 150) and it just goes crazy overflowing with foam. I think I have it about the right depth (8") The valve is open all the way (lowest water level) and it just keeps overflowing foam. Everything I have seen says to adjust the foam level with the red valve but it is not lowering the level of foam. Is this normal? Is it just because the tank is so new? It is still a little cloudy (just filled yesterday) so is it just because the salt isn't mixed well yet? I am new to skimmers so I don't really know what to expect. I am just letting it run with the plug out of the collection cup at the moment. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

steved13

PREMIUM
Different substances in the water, can affect your skimmer. Somethings make it go crazy like you're experiencing, and others can make it stop producing. Usually it will calm down after a little while. New tank might take a little longer, I wouldn't worry about it for a few days.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My skimmer did the same thing for about 3 or 4 days in my new setup then calmed down slowly. I actually thought it was the skimmer because i put a more powerful pump in and i thought it was too much. Mine literally starting frothing like crazy within about an hour. No worries, give it time.

paulyray

ok, that makes me feel better. Thanks for the quick replies. Hopefully it will calm down, it is foaming up the whole skimmer area of the sump.

paulyray

ok thanks. I didn't use any amquel or anything. Just rodi and salt. I do have a bunch of dry rock and caribsea live sand in the tank.

DesertOrchid

Maybe just the debris from the rock and sand. Can you turn the air inlet down a little so your foam is more dry?

DesertOrchid

Hmmm..... guess it is just doing it's job. Better than mine that I recently retired aka the dump! *L* Couldn't get that thing to consistently foam ever.

Dont feel bad. I thought I had mine tuned in after about 2 months, and I used some reef/LR putty, and as soon as that got in my tank, the skimmer has gone nuts, and its pretty much unusable at any configuration. Makes me wonder about the putty. Supposedly completely reef safe. Now I just want to throw my skimmer into the wall :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
If u have immediate foam especially overwhelming foam dial down the air. Quick fix.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

paulyray

It was immediate overwhelming foam and the air is dialed all the way down, I think. Is there another control other than the big red knob?