Bone Head Move....

Corvus

Well, I'm glad my friend did not stick around long enough to see me make what seems like a really dumb move.

A friend of mine--who has been keeping reef tanks for about 25 years--stopped by my house with his wife as they were passing through town. He gave me some advice on the tank, and then insisted that we test my water. When we saw that my PH was a bit low (between 7.8 and 8) he suggested that I use a buffer to help regulate PH (and, of course, he told me to do another water change).

Well, after he and his wife left to continue their westward journey, I bought some IO Buffer. I put a few teaspoons into my tank (following the directions on the jar), and shortly thereafter I saw that some of my mushrooms were not too keen on having the buffer powder land on them. I used a turkey baster to clean them off, but for a while they looked like they were "shedding" tissue as they were sending long, green-tinted tentacle-like strands up into the water. The centers of the mushrooms swelled up, too.

So I've learned never to pour buffer powder directly on mushrooms (bone head on my part).

My question: will the mushrooms recover?

I now take leave having learned a valuable lesson....

C.

PS Haven't talked with my friend since my "adventure" but I will tell him about it once I next speak with him. I'll never hear the end of it....LOL

sacktheqb65

I would think they would recover. Mushrooms are pretty hearty... good thing you blasted them clean though. I wouldnt want to pour any chemicals directly on them. Maybe try putting it in the sump from now on?!?!? ;)

Corvus

Yep. My tank is small and I don't have a sump, but in the future I will mix the powder in tank water and THEN put the "buffer water" in the tank!

C.

Snid

7.8-8.0 is actually considered a safe range to operate in. I'm one of those people who firmly believes that finding the source of the symptoms vs. treating the symptoms should be the first move. In other words, the question should be, Why is my pH running a little low?

There are many reasons why this could be happening, faulty testing, tank still cycling, the atmosphere around the tank, Alkalinity is low, etc... Buffers aren't really a good way to go if they can be avoided, as they can also change other things in the water that you don't want to change.

Here's a good read...

Reefkeeping.com - Low pH: Causes and Cures

reefle

I do believe most pH buffers are supposed to be mixed in RO water first and then poured into a high flow area.

mushrooms should be ok though. One time, I poured improperly mixed saltwater into my tank and salt burned some corals. I learned my lesson the hardway too

reefer gladness

I agree with Snid, low pH is usually an indication of low alkalinity. pH is one number I definitely do not chase, keep alk stable and pH will take care of itself.

Corvus

I do believe most pH buffers are supposed to be mixed in RO water first and then poured into a high flow area.

mushrooms should be ok though. One time, I poured improperly mixed saltwater into my tank and salt burned some corals. I learned my lesson the hardway too

Of course the label on the IO buffer did NOT tell me to first mix the powder with the RO water. Hey--I learned!! LOL

C.

Corvus

What's the best, easiest to use alk tester? I'm ready to buy one....

Thanks!

C.

PS The ELOS test kit looks pretty simple.

Oxylebius

I moved from test kits to a Hanna, easy to work with, if you are willing to pay the $$ its worth it.
Advanced Aquarist Article on it here.

Corvus

Interesting, Oxy. It seems the Hanna uses a different unit of measurement. What's the spread of "safe" numbers for a Hanna based on the "scale" it uses? (I see the number "125" in the sample listed on the link you sent me. Many test kits read using digits that run from single to double digits--7-12, for example.)

C.

C.

Oxylebius

Ah, yes. Forgot about that.

ppm is the unit of measurement they use. The concentration of alkalinity is in ppm of CaCO3.
Alkalinity conversion:
1ppm CaCO3 = 0.02 meq/l
1ppm CaCO3 = 0.056 dKH

For example:
125ppm = 2.5 meq/l
125ppm = 7 dKH