Bogwood for seahorse tank

ktakeda

Hi,
I am converting my tropical tank to house two seahorses. It ahs some nice bits of bogwood, was wondering if using these in the saltwater seahorse tank is advisable or not?

Also, is it good to have corals in with seahorses? If so, what kind?

Thanks,
Kenji

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wouldn't use "bogwood" or any other natural non-ocean product. Better play it safe.

Normally (there are exceptions) we don't have a lot of corals in a SeaHorse tank because so many corals sting and when the SH is "hitched" it will get stung.

ktakeda

Thanks, I'll ditch the Bogwood then!

Sure, think I'll just go for a tank with live rock and keep it simple.

Cheers,
kenji

panmanmatt

Agreed, the bogwood wouldn't be a good choice. The saltwater will rot the wood and create a mess of the tank.

As for corals with seahorses, there are quite a few that can be kept.

A good place to get an idea of what you can keep with seahorses can be found here: seahorse.org - Tankmates

ktakeda

Thanks, definitely no bogwood then!!!

Thanks for the seahorse.org link. Brilliant, really good rating system for what is and isn't seahorse-friendly. I'll get the seahorses settled first though, before I start adding anything :)

Thanks,
Kenji

K L R

my old seahorse tank had corals zoas, gargonians, and some grass , and the mistake a lobyphillia,it was a dumb decision, and it took 2 of my seahorses:cry1: :cry1: :cry1: :cry1: :cry1: and swallowed them whole:grr: :grr: :grr: !!!

So basically like they previously said anything that doesnt sting is fine.....