Blue Tuxedo Urchin Owners - Question

KMP

I bought a blue tuxedo urchin after reading many reef safe / aquascape safe reviews. I just saw something today saying they may "plow through polyps or corals"

Anybody have a problem with this?

Also, not long after being in the tank I found the body of a blue leg hermit crab [not in shell or shell around the corpse] right where I had put the urchin down. Later, the urchin was in another spot and a blue leg hermit got to close. The urchin latched on to him. I'm not sure if he was going to eat him or trying to stick him on his back. Didn't wait to see either. They are supposed to be herbivores, however, may occassionally eat meaty food.

Any thoughts or similar behaviors?

And one last question, knowing they like to stick things to themselves, do you think they would pick up a polyp frag and toss that on their back? I guess it's possible. Just didnt' think about it until now.

Thanks.

Kenny

Dragon Wrasse

Sorry I can't help you with this question....I researched them a while back and decided not to take the chance in my tank...good luck.

KeyserSoze

Most urchins are considered to be the bulldozers of the reef tank. I have one that is well mannered by most standards. I have a frogspawn that it loves to up-end whenever it's in the area. Fortunately it will stay in the same area of the tank for months at a time so if I see a problem I just move the urchin. Mine isn't a tuxedo but a friend has one and righting rocks is a daily chore. No exaggeration. One more thing to consider. They are extremely thorough at eating coralline algae. I have a couple of pictures I'll post to show you.
after.jpg

KeyserSoze

This is what it looked like before the urchin decided this was a good place for lunch :)

before.jpg

This was done on and off over the course of a few weeks. It's just something to consider.

KeyserSoze

I just thought everyone should know. Most people get them for algae control and looks but few know how destructive they can be. That said... I really enjoy mine. Peaceful diversity is what I strive for. Thanks Dragon Wrasse.

Stevenmi

I heave heard that after eating ...they poop...and in the poop contains coralline algae spores, and this helps spread it about the tank.

Steve

KMP

good info. thanks guys. the poop thing makes sense too. i guess i'll have to wait this out and see what will happen. right now he is hanging by a little cave in the rocks [last night] and has ventured just outside the cave today. if he stays in this area there won't be any problems.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have a long spined urchin. Yes it eats coralline but actually spreads more spores than does damage so its cool. It has never bulldozed any rocks *knock on wood*