Blue Tang

JeffJ

I impulse bought a blue tang a few days ago simply to add more color to my tank. He has been hiding in the rocks ever since. I can't find anything about how shy these guys are. Does anyone know? I don't think he is being harrassed. My French angel gave him a once over but I never saw any violence done. From what little I can see of him, his coloration is good but he is not even coming out to eat.

Gina

RS STAFF
I would just give him some time so that he becomes comfortable in his surroundings.
Hippo Tangs are a shy and peaceful fish.
They prefer plenty of hiding spaces in the aquarium and a large area to swim in.

Don't forget to offer him Seaweed or Sea Vegetables several times a week.
You could also try dark leafy greens such as Kale.

Here is some info I found in our Knowledgebase for you.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
They LOVE to hide at first! Do not be alarmed. It will come out when it feels more secure :)

Witfull

how big is he? when they are small (under 3") they will dart to cover quickly, but once they know every available refuge, they come out more and more. as they grow, and learn everyone in the house, they become less timid,, and openly swim about.

on a related note, when they wild capture babies (1"), they hide in a coral head. so a diver simply places a netbag over the coral head and chips it off. fish and coral collected without trauma.

JeffJ

He is certainly not a baby. I sprang for the larger one (about 5 in) to prevent bullying. His tank mates are a yellow tang (smaller than him and only in for about a month), 2 false percs, 5 green chromis, a royal gramma, a foxface, and a French angel. The angel is the undisputed master of the tank. He is just starting to lose his stripes and get his adult coloration. I am really hoping he gets more mellow as he grows older. He is ok with other fish, but hell on any new corals or inverts.