Blue Star Leopard Wrasse Q's

SeahorseBT

I just ordered this fish form a site online, and it came in smaller than I expected. She's only about one inch. I put her in a plastic breeder net type thing in my tank with some sand for cover. I know these guys are tough to feed so I have a question:

Is it best to leave her in the container and try to get her onto frozen first or release her into the display so she can start foraging for pods?

slakker

I can't visualize the thing you're keeping it in... but the leopard I have and I think this is true of leopards is that they bury themselves in sand to sleep and when scared. Be careful that it's not hitting it's beak trying to bury itself as that can damage it's beak and can potentially prevent it from being able to forage and eat. I hear that lot's of leopards are lost in shipment because of this.

When I first got mine, I didn't see it for 2 days; it went hiding in the sand. But I just feed it when it came out and now it takes pellets and whatever I throw in the tank. Also a great forager of pods, baby pyramid and other snails.

SeahorseBT

So you think that I should let it go in the main display? There is a good inch or so of sand in the container...I think that is enough.

bodofraggins

This is one of my favorite leopard wrasses. It depends on what type of fish you have this with. If it's with docile fish you can let it out after a couple of days of acclimation in its container. It will probably be beneficial to let the wrasse forage and get used to its new home.