Blue Spotted Jawfish Help

Reefer333

My blue spotted jawfish has been in my tank for about three days now, and he still seems that he is very stressed out. He has already built his home and ate some mysis shrimp, but he is breathing VERY hard and doesn't come out of his hole at all. I just want to know if this is normal and he needs more time, or if I need to do something to the tank. The other fish I have is a clown, firefish, and a manderine goby. My water is testing fine and my temp is at 78. Please help I would hate to loose this fish...

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
They do tend to hide in the begining until they get used to their surroundings. After three days, I would not expect it to be breathing heavy. If it's not coming out of its burrow, how do you know it's breathing is labored?

Reefer333

He built his hole right by the glass so I can see down his hole. And he will poke his head out every once and awhile.

Reefer333

I have 3" of sand, tank is 7 months, 34gallon red sea has two power heads so the flow seems to be good. He just isn't as active as I think he should be. I do soak the mysis in garlic that I got from a local reef shop. He just seems that he is really scared. He did build his home near my brain that my clownfish lives in, but I havent seen the clown bother him at all.

lcstorc

I would give him some time. Often they are shy at first particularly when you are looking into their burrow. I recently purchased one and he is out and about when I am not near the tank but if he sees me he quickly goes back to his burrow. Try watching from a distance and see if he comes out then. Does he have plenty of small rocks and shells to make his burrow? That will make him more comfortable.
Blue Spots can be very difficult to keep and nobody really knows why. All we can do is try as best you can.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Sounds like he is just getting acclimated to his surroundings. Give him some more time.

lauriepacific

My Yellow Tang was pestering my BS Jawfish when I first put him in my tank. I ended up removing the Yellow Tang and putting the Tang in my frag tank. After the Yellow Tang was gone my tank was soooo much more peaceful and my BS Jawfish was way less stressed. Good luck with yours and be sure to cover the top of your tank so your BSJ doesn't jump out.

kaiya

I had a pair of clowns that were going after my bsj. So I moved there anemone to the other side of the tank (away from my Blue spots burrow) and everything was fine after that.

Hope it helps. :)