Blue Spot Acting strange

stew

My first Blue Spot Jumped into my refugiums over flow box and jumed out, and I found him on the floor. I bought another one and he settled in real fast. I had him for a week anda half now , and three days ago he started swimming aroung the tank real fast and jumping out of the water and hitting the glass lid. Hes not been in his hole in three days and won't eat. He has real good color. I just don't know what to make of it. My water tests perfect.
If I loose this one. That will do it for Blue Spots.

stew

My first Blue Spot Jumped into my refugiums over flow box and jumed out, and I found him on the floor. I bought another one and he settled in real fast. I had him for a week anda half now , and three days ago he started swimming aroung the tank real fast and jumping out of the water and hitting the glass lid. Hes not been in his hole in three days and won't eat. He has real good color. I just don't know what to make of it. My water tests perfect.
If I loose this one. That will do it for Blue Spots.

nos2074

Well I don't know much about the BSJF so you can take or leave my opinion.

1) Saying your water prams are perfect dosent help. you need to list each. This will help us help you.

2) What else is in the tank. and how old is the tank. The more info you can give us the easier it will be to help you.

3)(My opinion) Glass tops don't belong on reef tanks. They hold in heat and restrict the air exchange on the surface. You may want to look into other means for a top to keep that guy in.

DaveK

Jawfish are very prone to being skittish. They like hiding places.

Your jawfish might not have settled in yet, so just give it some time.

Also, check for the usual parasite diseases, and look for any other livestock that may be bothering your jawfish.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like possibly stray voltage in the tank.
That is the first thing that came to mind from reading your post.
I would get a cheap voltage meter from HD or lowes and see if there is any stray voltage in the water.
I agree that posting your water parameters are perfect is not going to fly. Post your test results please.

kaiya

What's the temp in the tank? They do like cooler water...so that might be a contributing factor along with the voltage suggestion from an earlier post.

Also, do you have a deep sand bed/rubble for your BS to make a home?
I've found after trying to facilitate a home for them(building up rocks on top of the sand bed) they don't want it. They want to make there own home, and I think they feel safe/comfortable having a burrow in a deep bed of rubble/sand....just from my experience...my BS has a home in the front corner of the tank...and has 6-8inches of sandbed to play with. The rest of the tank has a very minimal sand bed.

As far as keeping them in the tank. I went to the hardware store and bought a hard plastic mesh used to keep limbs/leaves/gunk out of gutters. It is hard, but still flexible. You can use scissors to cut out the appropriate sizes you need too. I've heard Eggcrate can be a problem, and BS's can find there ways through the holes.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Kelly

stew

I have Volt meter, but I dont know where to measure the leads from. I can say when I put my arm on the top edge of my tank, (while cleaning the tank) I can feel like a shock feeling on the bottom of my forearm. Didn't know what was up with that though.
Water Parameters
PH= 8.3
phos=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
Saltinity=.024
temp=76 degrees
KH= cant remember, but I know it read in the middle of the normal range.
calcium= was good to but can't remember what it was.
I will do a test again in the morning, usually write it don but didn't this time.

I have a yellow head and he is fine. eating and happy. My BS is the only fish that is acting retarted. He was fine for 3 days after I put him in the tank. I just fed them and he still is swimming around the tank and wont settle in. I am going to build up some rock,(Florida crushed coral) on one side of the tank and maybe purchace some larger rock and try to give him a place to burrow.

nos2074

Start unpluging your equipment one at time and see if you still feel that shock when you put your arm in the tank. You may have a piece of equipment putting voltage into your water.

I think you can jus put both leads into the water and that will work. I would check your DT and sump