blue or white lunar lights????????????

jubbers

i want to get lunar lights to stimulate spawning and to have a 24 hour light solution. my question is should i get blue or white lunar lights? which one is better? or which one looks good?

charlesr1958

I would use the blue ones simply because I read (somewhere, cant remember) that corals and such are more tuned into the blue spectrum than any other. I personaly don't use them but probably would if I could ever find them here...lol

Nevermind, found it.

"In many species of symbiotic corals, spawning occurs synchronously several nights after the full moon. This process is correlated with the level of lunar irradiance, but the mechanism by which these cnidarian/zooxanthellate symbioses can detect such low levels of light remains unknown. Here we report the first biophysical evidence that the host animal exhibits extraordinarily sensitive photoreception in the blue region of the spectrum. Using a high-resolution laser-induced signal to detect tentacle scattering, we measured the effect of low irradiance on the contraction of polyps in the corals that normally have their tentacles extended in darkness. Similar to most deep-sea invertebrates, the action spectra of coral photoreception reveal a maximum sensitivity in the blue, at 480 nm, with a spectral band width (at full-width half-maximum) of ca. 110 nm. The spectra closely overlap the maximal transparency of oligotrophic tropical waters, thus optimizing the perception of low light at depth. The detected threshold of photoreception sensitivity is ~1.2 x $10^{15}$ quanta $m^{-2}\,s^{-1}$ in the blue region. This makes corals capable of sensing the blue portion of lunar irradiance, as evidenced from the recorded slight contractions of polyp tentacles under variations in moonlight intensity. "

Chuck

jubbers

and also i read they stimulate and promote spawning. and thank you the blue lights look great at night!

jubbers

should i turn on the lunars every night? should i turn them on right after i turn off my lights? should i get a dimmer to replicate the lunar cycle or is it even worth doing that?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you want to take TOTAL control over your lighting schedule (lunar, fuge and mains) get yourself a tank controller. I installed mine about 2 weeks ago now and freaking LOVE it! I got the Neptune AquaController Jr which does EVERYTHING I want except web access. If I were buying again I'd opt for the Pro but hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20 and MEMBERS here did suggest this I just ignored them. Get yourself a controller and get the MOST out of your lights.

Allen :)

Reefcraze_1

MarineDepot.com sells controllers I just ordered a neptune jr. To control my display tank, sump, moonlights they are fantastic. always use blue moon lights because because they simulate the depth of the water where these corals naturally occur.:whstlr: