Blue or White LED Moonlight?

angnak

Which one should I get? I remember seeing that the new consensus is white. Any reason why I should use one or the other.

Thanks

Warnberg

Whatever looks better to you... IMO lunar lights are for you to see the night critters without having to dig out the flashligh and nothing else.....

Dragon Wrasse

I like the BLUE at 470nm here is a quote from "digikit" wich I bought my DIY kit from, with one kit I built two hoods for both my tanks....the quality is great.

"wide angle super bright,470nm wavelength,extremely close to the natural moon light.The other spec that affects the moonlighting effect and people are not aware of is the angle that the light covers. All my moonlights are wide angle which can cover wider range that the normal LED lights ( or other moonlights selling on the market). That's why my customers love my lights. Do not just focus on the brightness. LEDs are known as very directional unlike other source of lighting. Having a wider angle is a must for moonlight. You can not just use any blue LEDs and call that "moonlight".There are tons of sources selling blue LEDs, but those are 15-30 degree. My wide angle blue LEDs are 50 degree, which are the best of LED lighting."

Here is a link to a kit that is already pre-fabed....they also have DIY, like I bought. Good Luck!!

angnak

Thanks guys. I guess I will go with the blue. I like the look of my corals under the actinics. I am looking to DIY. Thanks for the link.

Witfull

i have a single icecap light in white. its centered on the tank,,,,but its not pointing down, its mounted to the back of the canopy and shines onto the front. i think this way it softens the focal light and gives better dispersion as the reflector catches the light. beat my old $2.50 nightlight and extension cord,,lol i dont trip over the dog now (atleast if hes infront of the tank-chocolate lab/brown carpet)

HowardW

I have both and like the white moon lights better. I think they look more natural and easier to view the tank at night also.

Stevenmi

This conversation makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried actually lighting a tank entirely with LED's. I have seen refuges done with only leds on nanos.

hmmmm...

Steve

angnak

I had the same thought Steve. I was just thinking it would require way to many LEDs to do, but I don't know enough about LEDs to know any difference.

Warnberg, do you have the moonlight controller?

VoodooChld

my light came with blue and white. I like the way it looks best when both the blue and white lights are on. If I just have the white light on it seems to bright but if I just have the blue lights on its too dark for me and doesnt look natural but when both are on it looks cool as heck.

reefjitsu

Yep, some are trying it. Some are DIY-ing, and some companies have already jumped on the band wagon too. This product is out or will be soon:
PFO3.jpg

Includes Solaris LED Hood, 8’ Detachable Cord to Remote 120V Power Supply, and Moon Lights. The system will be set for approximately 20K color. Without the Control Module the color will not be adjustable. The control module needs to be installed at the factory at time of order. (Note: PFO reserves the right to make changes without prior notification.)

Warranty:
The system is warranted for two years to the original purchaser. However, the white LED’s are expected to last 50,000 hours and the blue LED’s are expected to last 100,000 hours.
Installation Precautions:
The LED’s will have premature failure if they get too hot for an extended period of time. Ensure that there is good air circulation around hood. It is best to mount the LED’s over the tank via the stands or PFO Pendant Hanger Kit(Not Included). Be extremely careful about air circulation mounting inside canopies. If installing in canopies be aware the cables come out the end and add length for cable bending beyond stated length.

SOLARIS
Pricing Effective Through May 4, 2006

13” $449.00 24” $799.00 36” $1,229.00 48” $1,499.00 60” $1,799.00 72” $1,999.00
The expected ship date is scheduled for early July 2006. However, PFO Lighting reserves the right to change the date due to unforeseen circumstances.

Control Module
The blue LED’s, white LED’s, and Moon Light LED’s are controlled independently and will be dimmed using Pulse Width Modulation. The control module has a built in timer and microprocessor which controls each group of LED’s independently. With the control module you can dial in the exact color of light ranging from 6.5K to 20K by adjusting the Blue LED’s Light output. To set the following variables you will go to PFO Website enter the values on the LED Control Board Page. The new values will be downloaded to your computer and then you will transfer the file from your computer
to the Solaris LED Light fixture via a USB cable. The current time will be set by your computer clock. When the Solaris LED Light Fixture has been reset, all lights will momentarily turn on and then it will look at what time it is and set all LED values to the specified values. I.e.. if it is half way through sunrise then all values would be set at 50% of maximum Daylight Options. The microprocessor will update LED light output values constantly.(Note: PFO reserves the right to make changes without prior notification.)
Sunrise Options Default Settings Sunrise Start Time 8AM
Sunrise Time Length Blue 30 min
Sunrise Time Length White 30 min Sunrise Time Length Night Lights 30 min
Daylight Options Daylight % Blues 100%
Daylight % Whites 100% Daylight % Night Lights 100%
Cloud Cover
% decrease from Daylight Full Brightness 0
Frequency between Clouds
Length of Cloud cover
Sunset Options Default Settings
Sunset Start Time 7:00 PM
Sunset Time Length Blue 90 min
Sunset Time Length White 30 min
Sunset Time Length Night Lights 90 min
Night Settings
Night Start Time 8:30PM
Length of Night Lights 700 min
Night % Blues 0
Night % Whites 0
Night % Night Lights 100%
Set for 28 Day Moon Cycle ON

WWW.PFOLIGHTING.COM 800-577-9690

As for myself, I just found my supply of blue and white LED's with the appropriate spectrum so I will be putting something together in the upcoming months.

MINIATUS

I was looking at these lights, made by Icecap.

MINIATUS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAD57.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IceCap LED Flexible Moonlight IC3210
Super bright 1W 455nm Blue LED Mimics nocturnal reef lighting conditions Creates a shimmering moonlight effect Promotes lunar ...

CAD57.95

IceCap LED Flat Moonlight IC3220
Super bright 1W 455nm Blue LED Mimics nocturnal reef lighting conditions Creates a shimmering moonlight effect Promotes lunar ...

MINIATUS

Need Pics Sorry

MINIATUS

Attachments

• lighting_icecap_flexible_moonlight.jpg
    lighting_icecap_flexible_moonlight.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 26
  • lighting_icecap_flat_moonlight.jpg
    lighting_icecap_flat_moonlight.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 26