Blue Linckia Sea Star... EATING????

Edd13

from what i have read noone really knows what they eat and say they generally live only a few months.
I have had mine going on a year and a half never spot feeding it just letting cruz around the tank ... i figured it was eating detrius or algee or something...

tonight I found it on the glass eating a small star (Algee eating type):bugout:

here is a pic of it....................:thumbup:

Attachments

• Blue Linkia eating.jpg
    Blue Linkia eating.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Edd13

the linkia just moved on ... so i inspected the small star ... what was left was a hollow husk that rolled up like an empty gritty bag

Edd13

here is a pic of what was left ... i tried to stieghten it out with a tooth pick but it just got worse...

Attachments

• whats left 400.jpg
    whats left 400.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

I have had a blue linkia for about 4 years.. I have no idea what it eats but it must be finding a lot to eat because it is a fat fella. Sometimes I see it on the glass which a always assumed it was eating the brown thin dusting of algae. Most times it is wedged in the smallest spots possible cleaning the rocks. I do have alot of those little white stars in my tank.. It must be feeding on them as well.

Melanie

Thank you for sharing that great capture! I have read that they are nearly impossible to maintain. hma has one as well and I'm interested to hear what he thinks they eat.

framerguy

I do have alot of those little white stars in my tank.. It must be feeding on them as well.
HMMMM...maybe there is something here!? Since nobody REALLY knows what there diet is, this is a possible breakthrough. Tiny white stars = blue linckia health? I know the little stars come in on LR, but is there any other source for them?

Edd13

i really don't know if there is another way to get more... i have some in the tank i see from time to time but most i find in the sump ... my next question is if they eat these ... would they eat the small SPS eating stars as well:willis: ... it would be awesome if it did:invisible

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would think so edd. I also know that if you have those little stars unless you have a very fast predator like a harliquin they will be an abundance of them

kathywithbirds

I would think so edd. I also know that if you have those little stars unless you have a very fast predator like a harliquin they will be an abundance of them

Those are astreas, right, the little ones? I've seen one or two a couple of times... so if I read you right, they're like roaches, where there's a few there's a ton you don't see?

Edd13

sorry kathy for the late post :smck: ... still getting used to the speed of this site:eek:

there are quite a few astreas spicies from what i under stand... the one in my pic is a harmless algee one ... but ... i understand there are agressive coral eating ones also

from what i have read noone really knows what they eat and say they generally live only a few months.
I have had mine going on a year and a half never spot feeding it just letting cruz around the tank ... i figured it was eating detrius or algee or something...

tonight I found it on the glass eating a small star (Algee eating type):bugout:

here is a pic of it....................:thumbup:

What size tank do you have? I just set up a 75gal and was thinking of getting one of these guys. After some research I'm starting to have second thoughts.

Mekanik

very interesting - I always wondered the same.. never had a linkia live very long here either. Off and on have seen the small algae eating stars here too.
Thanks for the pictures and posting