Blue fiddler crab

soco

A store around me has really cool blue fiddler crab for sale. I have never seen one before and think he is really cool. The lady at the store told me they are not reef safe and by the look of him and his gigantic claw he most likely isn't, but so far the stuff I've found online says he is a detritivore. Does anyone know a good source of info for one of these guys? If he is not reef safe would he be alright in my sump? Do they eat anything like most crabs or do they need a specific diet?

Thanks
soco

spring

I think fiddler crabs live in brackish water and they need to be able to come out of the water. Not sure if that's for all species but you might just check up on those requirements too.

Brandon78

I think fiddler crabs live in brackish water and they need to be able to come out of the water. Not sure if that's for all species but you might just check up on those requirements too.

Agreed, I had fiddler crabs a while back and they needed shallow water, although mine werent salt water, so prolly a different type if fiddler.

Doogle

They are sold as fresh water tank inhabitants you may see them in a tank or in a cup, but they shouldn't be always submerged in water. A shallow brackish tank with a filter and sand that rises above the waterline is adequate. They are escape artists and are difficult to breed as they need a setup with lots of sand, anyway don't be surprised.if they shed their shell and it's good for them to eat it as it has a lot of calcium and stuff they need.the males have a large claw on either left or right side and females have small claws on both sides. They are fun to watch the males battle (wave their claws around like robots!) and pick at everything and eat it.

soco

This store has a blue one that has one big claw so it must be a male. It is in a saltwater tank completely submerged.

So if i were to rig my sump up with rocks so it can climb out of the water if it wants it should be fine? What do they eat?

Doogle

As long as there is nothing for him to be able to climb out, ya should be fine. They eat fish, flake, and algae maybe , they eat there own shells so just about anything,lol.

ZyberGoby

I know this is an old and probably dead thread but I just wanted to add that the Blue Fiddler Crab is a member of the porcelain crab family and is Reef safe with caution.

lbiminiblue

A store around me has really cool blue fiddler crab for sale. I have never seen one before and think he is really cool. The lady at the store told me they are not reef safe and by the look of him and his gigantic claw he most likely isn't, but so far the stuff I've found online says he is a detritivore. Does anyone know a good source of info for one of these guys? If he is not reef safe would he be alright in my sump? Do they eat anything like most crabs or do they need a specific diet?

Thanks
soco
ehh i trust very few crabs in my tank except hermits and decorators. Even the decorators I have problems with- I find one "pruning" my torch coral-tentacles floating all around the tank. Thank you very much, but my corals don't need gardening yet. The crab should be fine in the sump. I doubt he needs a special diet. I have kept two CBS in my sump separately since August, I'm terrible about keeping them, they live in almost perpetual daylight, and I hardly feed them squid, but they get bigger and bigger every day. I think a crab would be fine. (I'm willing to sell the shrimp, if anyone's interested.)