Blue Chromis Hiding

lbiminiblue

My 5 blue chromis have been in hiding among the rockwork ever since i moved my light bulbs closer to the tank. Not sure how long ago that was, but ALL of them are hiding, not just the small ones. 3 of them are pretty big and the other 2 are smallish. Only possible agressors in the tank THAT I KNOW OF are the two wrasses, neither of which have attacked other fish. Other fish are a juvy blue tang and an ocean surgeonfish, and a possibly dead jawfish. The chromis hide pretty much 24/7 even at feeding. They'll dart out every now and then but go right back to hiding. If one is swimming around, the moment i walk into the room he'll dart right back into the rocks. None of the other fish care too much. What's going on?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
+1 how long were they in the tank and in case I missed it how long has it been since you dropped the lights?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
That's weird dude. They're dither fish they school that's what they do. U check the water? Im having trouble believing its the lights.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

lbiminiblue

it's been about 2 months since i dropped them. I"ll do some testing too. Funny thing was, i was expecting my water change to liven them up, but they haven't changed. Maybe they feel uncomfortable in an all atlantic fish tank? When i had clowns they were the life of the tank. I kno I know highly unlikely....

Choff

They were probably fascinated by you moving the lights lower and they watched too long and now they are blind. My chromis hide in the rocks when its dark out.. :pBJ:

BLADEYAMAHA

Hell, I don't know.

Get a cleaner shrimp, they will come out then I bet. They love getting cleaned, they get in line and do it over and over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:

lbiminiblue

Get a cleaner shrimp, they will come out then I bet. They love getting cleaned, they get in line and do it over and over and over.

k. I was planning on getting a skunk cleaner anyhow. I DID see a chromis practically ramming the CBS to be cleaned. The CBS freaked out as if he had never cleaned a fish before...

and hey what do you think of a peacock mantis for my 10 gallon?

Last edited by a moderator:

fishguy4

i get this too with my bar goby e sits under a rock, sees food, eats food, and goes back under the rock. hes a waste of space lol

BLADEYAMAHA

The rubble will cause a big cycle and problems trapping debris thus killing the mantis from increased ammonia and etc. The rubble will trap a lot debris no matter what, it is a big pain, at least a whole lot of it is a bad idea.

lbiminiblue

Well, I did buy a cleaner shrimp, he's happy as can be. I've seen him cleaning my two tangs and now he's gotten comfortable enough to pick at my hand. Unfortunately, the chromis aren't any more at ease. I raised the lights a little. Even weirder, the smalllest chromis hides with his face into a hole in a rock RIGHT on the sand bed. I mean he has ZERO cover there. I can't see any signs of disease or scrapes, but he doesn't eat too much. What's going on???!!