Bleaching frag, Keep or dump?

SunnyX

Well I have an acro that is bleaching all of a sudden. The left side of the coral looks bad but the the other side looks good.
What do i do? Clip the dead parts and keep the good? I had a Milli bleach completly before but it came back.

ScottT1980

Personally, I would frag the good from the bad. Then, you can keep the bleached portion in the tank to see if it comes back. Perhaps a bit too proactive, but just what I would do...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Brucey

Just beacuse a coral is bleaching, does not mean the polyps are dying, all it is doing is expelling is zooanthelle in response to some event. However, I would agree, cut the bleached area out but try to keep this alive as well. A bleached coral depends a lot more feeding for it's energy source as it can not use the zooanthelle for energy.
Brucey

sharks

Contributing Member
By bleaching do you mean loss of color?
Or RTN-ing and the skeleton is showing with the flesh receding?
If it were RTN then I would frag it. Making sure I break at a point where a little live flesh is left on the main colony. I have saved a few pieces this way.
If it were just bleaching I would start by testing. Though I’m sure you know you chemistry is correct.
How long have you had this piece?
I usually move it around to see if it wants more light/current or less.
HMO HIH
S

JB NY

Why would you get rid of it just because it bleached? I would just leave it, as long as the tank is healthy it should regain it's color. I would not cut it or do anything else to it. Bleaching is caused by stress, breaking a branch causes stress as well which can hamper it's recovery. Other than controlling the amount of light it is getting I wouldn't touch it or it might not recover.

willieboy240

bleaching or RTN?

yes i agree with all the advice. but the first question should be is it RTN or Bleaching. RTN = frag it. Bleaching = leave it alone
thats what i would do.

wooddood

the wood dude
i'll have to agree sunny leave it alone for a while and see what happens, i'm in the same senario with an acro and it's staying till i truelly believe it's a gonner. i have a pagota cup that did'nt open up for months and i let it go and low and behold it polyped back out so you naver know. remember patience buddy patience. good luck.;)

SueT

I say absolutely leave it as is for now. I recently got a beautiful purple with pink tip A. nobilis colony at my LFS for half price due to some bleaching around the base. The store has set this colony right in the middle of a patch of green striped shrooms. They had stung the heck out of this colony. I've had it 2.5 weeks now and it is almost completely healed.

Give this frag good water quality and you should see complete recovery if this is just a bleaching issue.